LaunchBox Community Forums

video format

orac31

• 3 months later...
I've been stuck on this issue myself since I purchased the full version of Launch Box. Endlesly going through the forums and Googling for help, but all I get is a space where the videos should be. - All my videos are FLV's - The Video file path is directed at the correct location to the videos - The video files are named the same as the rom zip files - I've installed "K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1170_Full" - These FLV videos play in Windows media player, but not in launchbox - Bigbox Cry One thing that should be noted here, is that in launchbox when aiming to the "Video game path" location, the FLV files are not there, unless you change "Videos to all files" - which kind of says to me, that Launch box doesn't recognise FLV files, even though it's supposed to be playing whatever Windows Media player does? Thankyou.

Why are they in flv? They really shouldn't be. They should be in mp4 or avi ideally. There is software out there that can convert the video, it might be a good idea to test out converting a video and see if that helps your situation. I use a piece of software that sounds and looks generic and like it wont work, but it surprisingly does. Any Video Converter. http://www.any-video-converter.com/ I don't remember if this installs things silently when you install it, so you may want to keep an eye out. If you have Malwarebytes Antimalware by chance then it should block it from doing so. The crap it can install is easy to get rid of either with the default windows uninstall or something like IOBit Uninstaller; I like the IOBit Uninstaller in AdvancedSystemCare because it scans afterwards and deletes left over files, but its not required by any means just my preference. If that sounds like too much (though if you do a test, have your settings the way you want then you can just batch convert all of them quickly) then download an mp4 or avi to test and see if one of these works. If so, then its the flv file. By the way, flv is a Flash Video standard. It's honestly outdated... even for flash. I can get YouTube videos in mp4.

Well I went to EmuMovies over a year ago now, to get the SEGA Mega Drive collection of videos, which were FLV format. I paid money for them to save me time, since I get very little time with my work, and could never hope to make, or go through converting everything. I feel gutted that I found out they were FLV after I paid for them, since it's an absolute joke file format -_- I then purchased LaunchBox, because I read on the other forum, conversation with Jason above, saying that FLV files can be used in Launchbox, as long as Windows media player can see them. So i installed the codecs as he mentions, tried to load up BigBox again, having seen they work in ~Windows Media player, but still nothing. Really I purchased this as a front end for Sega Mega Drive on a personal project, but I can't get FLV videos to work. Tonight I even tried re-visiting Emumovies, and it seems the site is up and down also. Another idea, It would be good if someone could share the whole collection some place ideally in MP4 format, since they aren't roms or anything, it should be fine?

If they're purchased from EmuMovies, lets not share them at all. We do not want them to get angry at us and try to get the site taken down. Not that they would or someone over there is a jerk enough to do it, but if they're offering a paid service they might be able to take action against users circumventing that. Like I said, Any Video Converter (you shouldn't have to pay for) will convert your videos easily. The settings might take a bit of tweaking, and I can certainly walk you through it. It's not too daunting, just the process might take a while if there are a lot of files, so leave it on over night.

Actually, I don't think Circo at EmuMovies is going to have a problem with someone sharing the videos amongst his paying customers; that's no big deal, especially since they already paid anyways. For what it's worth, EmuMovies doesn't usually have problems with the site being down; I saw that earlier today, but that seems like a rare occurrence. Anyways, it does appear to be back up now. Per FLV videos, my experience was that if the videos played in WMP, then they would play in Big Box, but I guess we've found an exception; that is odd, considering that it's using the same engine, and it fixed it for other people in the past, or at least I thought. Do you have an active EmuMovies subscription? If so, you should be able to download MP4s now that the site is back up.

We don't have to share emu movies snaps, but there'd be nothing wrong with sharing personal made video snaps, if anyone wanted too? My subscription to emu movies run out now, as after I download the Sega collection, I used hyperspin for all this time. I moved over to Launchbox for its cleaner base style. Jason, do you have the specific codec you tested please, because If it's working on yours, with the same specs, then it could be a slightly different version of the codec perhaps? Thanks

K-Lite is the suggested codec because it works with everything and FLV is a basic container. The incompatability we're theorizing has to do with LaunchBox being incompatible with FLV files. If I recall jason is running K-Lite. CCP Is also a doable codec pack, but I prefer the settings, options and codec error fixing K-Lite provides. Can someone else with an FLV test this?

Ok, I just tested an FLV file downloaded from YouTube (240p for ease) and it ran just fine. Blazing Lasers (U) was the game name and I just renamed the Video that in the proper folder under LB. Video -> TurboGrafx 16 -> File. I went over to it and it worked. My problem never got fixed of crackling audio so I never bothered to try to use this, but I tested it, it does work. My suggestion is test another FLV file you downloaded, test a converted FLV to MP4 or completely uninstall K-Lite and remaining files (I suggest IOBit Uninstaller for that), restart your PC and run the latest install of K-Lite Standard Pack or the pack from CCP, Standrad equivilent. Edit: And I just tested a 1080p MP4, same video. Both working.

Thanks I tested a converted to mp4 video, it works fine, but that's a lot of flvs to change, and emumovies used all its emulator snaps as flvs back in the day. You're right about issues with sound and video playback though, FLV is no longer a sensible choice. If emu movies has the complete collection, I might invest in getting better quality clips now, as building these collections should be justified by a tasty looking front end. ^^

Well the video converter can batch convert them all to specified settings, however it can not make a 360p or 480p video file 720p etc. So if they're also offering a higher resolution in an MP4 container then getting those video's again could be worth while. My problem of crackling audio has nothing to do with FLV files though. When I would have the controller options enabled my system output crackling. Now, opening my settings menu returns this crackling and so does opening up Big Box.

For controllers, I use PlayStation 3, and motion joy. If your pc has Bluetooth, you can also setup wireless controllers using this. It remember's the controllers like the PlayStation does too. No crackling sounds with these. (Although you might not have ps3 controls ) still they're very good choice for emulation.

My PS3 controller was what was plugged in when I figured this out with motionjoy, just wired. The system thinks they are 360 Pad's anyways. Now I use my PS4 controller with InputMapper. Controller is still disabled but i still get these crackles in certain menu's. Jason and I had gone over and over this a while back.