LaunchBox Community Forums

Combing Sega Genesis and Sega Mega Drive platforms?

LeviWB

Is it possible to combine platforms? Most of my Mega Drive/Genesis games are filed under the Genesis platform but some games (I think ones released in Europe such as Sensible Soccer) need to be under Sega Mega Drive for thegamesdb to pick them up. Is there a solution?

You can name what ever you want to what ever you want in LaunchBox. However, when you scan something and it needs to check against TGDB records is where it gets troubling. If they don't have a category for it, there is nothing you or we can do sadly. For example, I love DOS games and I have a ton of them. If they get picked up from TGDB it renames DOS to PC. DOS is / was a PC but not all PC's are DOS. PC is Personal Computer which is the device but DOS and Windows were the platform. It is not like Consoles in this regard. So unless they add it, it can not be changed. So you can put all your European games in a new folder and just name a new platform. It gets tricky but my new "philosophical" question, why does it matter? I don't see most users name Japanese Super Nintendo games Super Famicom even though that was the console name. Same with Famicom games. European games showed up on SNES, but it was just called SNES over there unlike N. America with the Sega Genesis. The reason why it only changed names anyways was because of a copyright at the time on Mega Drive. Really random questions, but I also like knowing peoples answers to these types of questions.

@LeviWB, welcome. To combine platforms, you would select all of the games from one platform, and then right click and Edit them. This will bring you into the Bulk Edit wizard. From there, you can set all the games to be the other platform. Not sure if that solves your problem, but that's how you would combine platforms.

Jason Carr said @LeviWB, welcome. To combine platforms, you would select all of the games from one platform, and then right click and Edit them. This will bring you into the Bulk Edit wizard. From there, you can set all the games to be the other platform. Not sure if that solves your problem, but that's how you would combine platforms.
This is how you would do it assuming all of your Genesis games are European otherwise you need to pick and choose then bulk edit. If you add them in as a custom / different platform they are easier to sort.

If you want your European games to be Mega Drive then you should separate them. If you want them to be labeled Genesis then you shouldn't need to change anything. If by chance a game got labeled as Mega Drive then you can just change it. I have GOG games that will get labeled PC from time to time that I just make sure I put back.

If you load many of the European or Japanese games in the Genesis category you won't get any results for metadata so it would be smart to add them as Mega Drive games originally and then bulk convert them after you have covers for them. I've set up Genesis/Mega Drive on two separate PC's and did one where I combined them all and added my own covers (labor intensive) and then did the other where I did Mega Drive and Genesis separate and while I still had to search for a good amount of box art a lot of the stuff is found if you use the distinct platforms. Now if only there were separate platforms for PC-Engine and Turbo Grafix 16 doing the PC-Engine platform on its own caused me a huge headache due to lack of metadata.

DOS76 said If you load many of the European or Japanese games in the Genesis category you won't get any results for metadata so it would be smart to add them as Mega Drive games originally and then bulk convert them after you have covers for them. I've set up Genesis/Mega Drive on two separate PC's and did one where I combined them all and added my own covers (labor intensive) and then did the other where I did Mega Drive and Genesis separate and while I still had to search for a good amount of box art a lot of the stuff is found if you use the distinct platforms. Now if only there were separate platforms for PC-Engine and Turbo Grafix 16 doing the PC-Engine platform on its own caused me a huge headache due to lack of metadata.
That's odd. My European games on Genesis got found just fine. I mean if the category doesn't exist on TGDB then there is no chance it will use it. Wikipedia on the other hand can be more accurate, but its also a lot more buggy since its a catch-all for information.

Thanks guys got my Genesis collection sorted in about an hour. Basically I updated everything through Genesis platform first. Then I changed all the games without a gdb id to Mega Drive. Then ran the update process for the Mega Drive games. That took care of about half of those games and then I manually updated the rest. Often when a gdb id can't be found, when you go to search for the game manually 99% of the time the first search suggestion is correct. One feature that would be nice is to be able to toggle that if an exact match is not found, then the first search result should be used

The database is crazy I did Genesis the other day and I had two games one is Chester Cheetah the other was Chester Cheetah 2 Wild Wild Quest the DB named Chester Cheetah (which should be Chester Cheetah to cool to fool) to Chester Cheetah Wild Wild Quest and left Chester Cheetah 2 Wild Wild Quest with no metadata yet when I did Emerson Arcadia 2001 last night it changed games like capture, escape and breakaway to Flag Capture, No Escape and NHL Breakaway '99. It is truly frustrating sometimes.