LaunchBox Community Forums

Issue with some NES games in Retroarch

Nickjs

Hey guys! Im having a weird issue with some of my NES roms in Retroarch. Out of the 800+ NES roms, most work great. However Ive encountered maybe 10 games that wont load. When I go to the games directory the zip file for that game will still be there as normal as well as a .nes file for the same game. Ive tried deleting the .nes file but it just gets recreated whenever I try and launch the game again. Any idea whats causing this and how I can fix it? Using Retroarch 1.2.2 Thanks guys!

Just of the top of my head, 2 of the games are Akumajou Special and Bigfoot. Im using the roms off of emuparadise but ive tried using roms off of a few other sites for Akumajou Special and Im still getting the same result. My next step is to set up a differant emulator for those specific roms having this issue but I figured Id ask here first.Wink

I havnt tried using different emulators but Ive tried using multiple cores and Im getting the same issue. In fact when I try other cores sometimes other games wont work and I get the same issue. Edit: I found a different rom set and that seems to have fixed the issue for most of the games Ive tested, however Akumajou Special is still having the same issue......

Usually a major point of failure is BIOS, but if you are playing NES and not Famicom Diskk System then... there are no BIOS. Personally I use the Nestopia core in RA and have no problems. https://i.imgur.com/Vvi03uW.png All my Roms are .nes roms in a giant list. If you have been changing emulators you need to make sure all the roms are loading the correct emulator. Ctrl + A, right click and edit your NES games. Choose emulator and choose RetroArch. If you do want to try the Nestopia core, open RA (right click a game and select open RA), go to the online updater, core updater and select NES / Famicom (Nestopia). Wait for it to finish download and unpacking its self. So we made sure the core has the right command under Associated platforms, made sure all the roms have RA selected for the games, and made sure the core was downloaded. What is the game you are trying to play that keeps crashing? All of them? Edit: Oh I didn't see your edit...

The Nestopia core is the one Im having the most luck with. Going through and testing every game and it seems to be just bad roms. However Ive tried using roms for Akumajou Special from different places and still getting the same result. Ill keep messing with it and update if I can figure out whats causing it. Edit: Ive gone through and tested every NES rom. Ive been able to fix every one except for 2: Akumajou Special Wai Wai World 2: SOS!! Ive tried multiple roms from differant places but still wont load. I guess 2 out of the 800 isnt bad lol.