LaunchBox Community Forums

New user, couple of quick questions.

dmaker

I purchased a premium license yesterday of Launchbox. I really like it so far, and think it has potential to be my emu launch pad. I had a couple of quick questions, however. Is there a database of rom titles that I should adhere to for ideal metadata scraping? For example, one of my favorite Genesis titles did not scrape. Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun. I tried using the exact title name form thegamesdb.net, but it still did not scrape. I tried it with the title it had before I changed it, D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun, it still did not scrape. I'm curious what is the best way to ensure the best scrape results. Also, how do you update? I imported about 700 roms or so, but if I want to update that, is my only option to do the whole import from start to finish again? That is what I have been doing. So now I have duplicates. I have like 6 Actraiser for some reason. How do I deal with duplicates? Thank-you very much for your time and consideration.

Its odd that you aren't getting Metadata for that game because I have the metadata from thegamesdb right click on the game and then search for metadata this will provide you with options of any close matches. The title mine has is Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun. Importing all the games again should get you results for only new games in the folder (if you are using folders and not files) unless during the import you clicked the check box to allow duplicates if you add new games to your collection you could always import them individually with the files option With Actraiser is the rom in .zip format and if so are there multiple versions of the rom inside the .zip or even if you extracted a .zip with multiple versions to a folder that will create a entry for ever rom inside the folder. The best way to deal with dupes is to click on each duplicate while holding in control then right click on one of the highlighted files and choose delete from the options.

Thank you for the tips. I only have one Actraiser and it is a single file, not a zip. I will have to spend some time pruning my Launchbox database it looks like. I will try the right click, search for metadata option for unscraped titles. That sounds like a good option.

That tells you how to launch it, not how to move it. You need to just copy your LB install directory. The XML file holds all of the path data. If you put the games in the same path as the XML has it will boot right up, but you can Ctrl + F and replace all with Notepad++ to manually change the drive letter or root folder they are in so you don't have to re-import. If you want to consolidate a bit, RetroArch will also be a good option to look at for an emulator. Also, if you are looking at a specific emulator and not all of your games, Ctrl + A will select them all. From here right clicking and Editing a game will bring up the bulk edit feature, and if you go to Tools at the top and click Download Images and Metadata, it will open up the dialogue to redownload the images and data for your games. There are options there to say only download the images and metadata that are missing. As well in the options, from time to time especially after deleting a bunch of games, clear your Image Cache. It will help with space.

I changed my launchbox exe to run as admin, that seems to help with launching some emus. I still don't have a clue what to do with Retroarch. Which is odd, because I use MAME all the time. So far, it's either me or Intellivsion emus suck. The controls are not very responsive and the games act odd. For example, Demon Attack, every X number of seconds my ship turns red and refuses to move, I can fire, but not move. When trying to play something like Lock and Chase, fuggedaboutit! The arrow controls are not responsive enough to manouvre the maze successfully. Damn,I was really looking forward to channeling some boyhood nostalgia with these games. The Colecovision emu fails to start and complains about being unable to switch to desired video mode. I'm sure I can figure that one out with some googling. I was hoping this was going to be easier than this. Setting up Launchbox was fun. Getting all the metadata and seeing all the cool game covers and stuff again. I loved that! Actually playing them is getting a bit tricky it seems. EDIT:I figured one of my issues out. Nothing was happening when I selected play for Atari games because they are all still showing Retroarch as the emu. I went into manage emus and told Stella to be the default, but it does not carry over to the existing roms. If I manually edit a single rom to use Stella, it works fine. How do I tell the rest of my Atari roms to use Stella? Do I have to do the import roms thing again? EDIT2: Ah, bulk edit wizard is your friend :) EDIT3: For some reason, ESC does not exit the emulator when running Stella through Launchbox. Also, Demon Attack sucks on the 2600 emu too. The ship freezes right after you clear the first board. grrrrrrrrrrrr EDIT4: My Colecovision woes were solved by installing Colem. What a nice little emu :)

With RetroArch you need to tell it to use the right cores. When you edit RA, you'll see a list of emulators. There is a list that should autopopulate, but you can add more. You also need to make sure that the right command is run. For example it should be -L "cores\stella.dll" for Atari. -L is think is for load, then whats in " " tells it where to find the core. In RA, if you make changes make sure to close RA so it saves them to the config, if it crashes it wont save. If its still not saving, tell it to save to a new config. Make sure the path settings are correct for the "System" folder, this is where BIOS will go for various systems. Also, make sure to go to input if you are using a controller, go to Port 1 and make sure you select the proper device.