LaunchBox Community Forums

Arcade and static audio

Randalf

Hello all, I have been trying to chase down an audio issue with (so far in my small collection) just 3 roms that produce crackling/white noise while playing. Those are Burger Time, JT-104 and Mario Bros. All arcade games use the latest Retroarch. All the other games I have work with no audio issues. I tried some other suggestions I have seen on other platforms like moving the audio up to 128, toggling sync, lowering frame rate (all within retroarch) to no avail. If I play these games out of MAME directly however, I have no issues. I am trying to avoid a mix and match of emulators if I can with the arcade games and hoping maybe there is something I have overlooked, or if for now I should use MAME for those games that don't present any issues. Everything is on a PC hooked up via HDMI to my Samsung TV. Thanks in advance.

This may be obvious, but its actually really easy in LaunchBox to have just those three games Launch with Mame. I understand the desire for unification and symmetry on the back end though (as in only using 1 emulator). Keeps things more clean. Just in case you didn't know, you can right click those games in Launchbox, click edit, and change the emulator they launch with. I have over 100 emulators installed because its been my experience that no single emulator offers 100 percent compatibility. Having said that, I still use RetroArch for MAME and just ignore the quirks. If I ever hit a wall that makes a game I want to play unplayable, I'll just switch that game over to Mame.exe. Unfortunately, you seem to have tried all the ideas I know about in terms of how to fix the audio within RA.

It is sound, I could in reality move on, but it gets annoying for me, but I did not realize about changing for just those three games (I thought I would have to change an entire platform or have some logical mess at hand) but that made it easier, sound is good, everything looks good and honestly, it is not really noticeable that a separate emulator is being used. I think I will stick with Retroarch where I can and if needed I can just switch it for that game only.

So I had this audio issue in the past, but with every bit of audio coming out of my system, when LaunchBox was open. It took Jason and myself a long time but we figured out it was the Gamepad option in the options menu. Once I unchecked "use a gamepad" in the options menu, the crackling audio immediately stopped. That may not work for you, but that is my "give it a try" answer.

Thanks for the suggestion, no harm in trying, but luck is not on my side. Oh well, I am not going to worry about it too much, this is more testing for me as I am eventually going to put the MAME side of things on another PC and setup a cabinet. Just wanted to get an idea of how things are going to work to build up that arcade experience.