LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows Question

bjwest

DOS76 said If you can get Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 cheap I would go with that because you can upgrade them to Windows 10 for free until July 2016. Windows 8 does have to be upgraded to 8.1 first but this is also free.
I used to have Windows 7 on my old laptop and loved it, got a new laptop with 8.1 and hate it haha so my preference for a new PC build would be to go back to 7 as I have heard bad things (specifically security issues) with 10 but of course I stand to be corrected Smile

I'll give some input on this subject as Windows is something I am very experienced in. I was a beta tester for windows 10 from the start and my cousin is a big shot at microsoft so i'll give honest feedback. In regards to security issues in Windows 10 there is very few so not sure in what regards you talking about here but I can confirm that there is now a lot of security issues present in windows 7 due to various things. Windows 10 in my opinion is the best OS ever , Windows 7 will always be fantastic but now the tide has turned. Windows 10 is a lot faster firstly , no software required to mount iso's ( it's built in ). Windows store is still rather lackluster and Microsoft know this. I would honestly tell you to upgrade to Windows 10. Install Webroot Antivirus ( I highly recommend ). Do not touch IE use microsoft Edge which is progressing nicely and also pop on chrome but take chrome with a pinch of salt as lot of cpu hogging in the current version ( It's my main browser ). Then I would install Launchbox , Kodi and have a lot of fun. Anything else just ask. Darren

darrenj1982 said no software required to mount iso's ( it's built in ). Darren
This is huge for me because I tried to install Daemon Lite on Windows 8.1 and it crashed my system so if I can mount iso's without touching that evil program then that's awesome! Thanks so much for sharing, will definitely consider Windows 10!

I use Daemon Tools Lite-4-49-1-0356-32-bits in Windows 10 and it works fine just make sure you untick the check for updates check box as the newest version doesn't create virtual drives with a letter and it is unusable with emulators like SSF (Sega Saturn) if you dont' plan on using it for Saturn I'm not sure if it will work with other disc systems as most of them handle mounting the images through the emulator.

Sorry I've not been getting e-mails for this sub forum, I've fixed that now though. So we don't support Windows XP anymore, and we do personally suggest keeping up with the latest with Windows 10. Otherwise Windows Vista onward as Derek said does work. Though Vista support will be going away soon too (if it hasn't already) and when Microsoft stops supporting it, so do we. Daemon Tools Lite also like Derek said is a great tool. I use Virtual Clone Drive, but they don't mount cue sheets. There are only a few emulators though that require mounting of cue sheets, and even then they have alternatives. As per preferences with windows. I love Windows 10. I even like 8 with a start menu replacer, but 10 has the start menu, it looks good, runs good (better than 7) and is secure. You can't get rid of Windows Security easily, but I did because I already have fantastic AV Software. Otherwise, it is very secure. Internet Explorer is going by the wayside, but I personally use Firefox for everything and Chrome when I need to which is hardly ever. The only two things in Windows 10 that should get turned off are Wifi Sense (if you use Wifi) and Seeding Updates to other Windows users. You can google those and we have a thread in the monkey section of the forums about this stuff. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.