LaunchBox Community Forums

Important tweak/additional features to request

dieandromeda

hi. im using premium and loving it so far. some tweaks that i think are important including:- 1. proper aspect ratio for box art. maybe a landscape function cus i'm using banner as box art. plz refer pics below. as we can see vertical spacing is bigger due to improper aspect ratio for banner. i hope we can have proper aspect ratio for banner box art. 2. proper box art sizing. current setting seem off. example 01. this is the smallest zoom. it seem ok but it can be smaller. too big for my display (im using 1080p) view. lb01.png example 02. zoom in halfway, box art too big to be able to view. so is it possible to have a smaller zoom out?. lb02.png 3. is it possible to customize highlight background. in color setting we can change "light background", however we can't set transparent color. if possible can we have setting to enable/disable highlight/hover background?. maybe change to mask/image. tq for reading.

Thanks @dieandromeda, welcome. You're right, I really need to get back to those spacing customization options. I remember that they're a bit flaky as-is. Keep in mind that in most cases you can get what you need by using negative padding values, but obviously that's an improper way to do it. Still, that might help out in the mean time. I do have an item on my list to customize the selection/hover backgrounds as well. Thanks, Jason

Jason Carr said Thanks @dieandromeda, welcome. You're right, I really need to get back to those spacing customization options. I remember that they're a bit flaky as-is. Keep in mind that in most cases you can get what you need by using negative padding values, but obviously that's an improper way to do it. Still, that might help out in the mean time. I do have an item on my list to customize the selection/hover backgrounds as well. Thanks, Jason
thanks for fast reply. i can't seem to change the padding size to negative value. edit: ok i'm able to change negative value in config file, however, hover/pressed background are overlap. if only i can disable the background/change size. p/s: can u add feature "close to tray". it is indeed a really nice addon feature.

• 3 years later...
13 hours ago, CyberCT said:

I'm trying to put the negative verticle padding in the XML settings file. While I can put "-30" for example and it saves, I don't see any change at all in Launchbox itself. How in the world do I get rid of the annoying wasted space between game rows?

Image1.jpg

You would adjust the aspect ratio so that it isn't so tall. It's best not to manually update the settings XML file.

51 minutes ago, CyberCT said:

Hi, yes I already adjusted that as well. Can you please tell me exactly what setting to play with in the xml file to achieve the result I want? I don't change views much or anything. I set Launchbox and forget it so to speak.

Use the settings interface in LaunchBox, not the XML file, and just change the aspect ratio to make it wider and less taller. You will have to play with it.

The absolute best aspect ratio where the borders are nearly nonexistent is 72. However, the attached image at that 72 setting is completely zoomed out 100% but the images are too large. I still have to scroll down to see all the games. Why can't I zoom out more at the 72 aspect ratio so the size of the images is closer to the 1st screenshot I posted on this thread. Is there a xml file setting that directly correlates to zoom? Will it accept a negative value?

Image1.jpg

I have a similar setup for Windows and most platforms. But the N64 boxes (as an example) are shaped differently. So they end up looking like this, with too much empty space between rows. I think the only way to resolve this is to have separate spacing and aspect ratio settings for each platform, if that could ever be possible.

N64

486343057_LaunchboxN64.thumb.png.596fd01dcd55f327d75053ba083c19be.png

Windows

307336440_LaunchboxWindows.thumb.png.9e577d55b8f7fee2dc14bb9ec5204032.png

Edited by xsvtoys

2 hours ago, xsvtoys said:

I have a similar setup for Windows and most platforms. But the N64 boxes (as an example) are shaped differently. So they end up looking like this, with too much empty space between rows. I think the only way to resolve this is to have separate spacing and aspect ratio settings for each platform, if that could ever be possible.

N64

486343057_LaunchboxN64.thumb.png.596fd01dcd55f327d75053ba083c19be.png

Windows

307336440_LaunchboxWindows.thumb.png.9e577d55b8f7fee2dc14bb9ec5204032.png

Yeah, that is a known issue, and I do plan to add that in here soon. :)

6 hours ago, Rincewind said:

What version of LaunchBox is that

I don't remember what version I was on when I took the screen grabs, but if you are asking about how it looks - this is just standard LB which I customized using the standard tools for colors, text, etc. I like the black minimalist style of interface so that is what I tried to create. I can provide the details about how that was done if that is of interest.

12 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

That would be great, thanks! 

Could be, I took those screen grabs a while back to illustrate that point, but I am on the latest version now, I definitely auto-update to the latest versions when they come out. Everything is working great, of course that issue with the spacing remains but it sounds like there will be a way to fix it in the future which will be great.  Its not a huge deal, just something that would look a bit nicer if fixed. Other than that I have zero to complain about, LB is great stuff and does exactly what I want it do. Launch games! :)

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:17 PM, Jason Carr said:

You plan on implementing separate spacing and aspect ratio settings for each platform? That's fantastic news!

One last request (which I touched on above). Could you please allow the zoom feature to be platform specific as well? And allow a more zoomed out view than the current limit please? That would be perfect!

12 hours ago, CyberCT said:

You plan on implementing separate spacing and aspect ratio settings for each platform? That's fantastic news!

One last request (which I touched on above). Could you please allow the zoom feature to be platform specific as well? And allow a more zoomed out view than the current limit please? That would be perfect!

Gotcha. This will probably end up on the next community poll.