LaunchBox Community Forums

ScummVM Importing

Zombeaver

I just want to make sure that I'm not creating extra work for myself unnecessarily, but is the best way to add ScummVM titles just one at a time?

I've been doing it via the following method:

1) "New" entry (ctrl+N I believe)

2) Enter the game title

3) Choosing ScummVM as the platform

4) Scrape for the title; choosing a (typically) MS-DOS database entry

5) Unchecking the "use an emulator button"

6) Going to the ScummVM tab, directing to the game folder, and choosing the appropriate title at the bottom

7) Confirm when prompted that I don't want to use an emulator

I mean, this works, but man it's pretty time consuming. Using the actual importer wizard doesn't really work since you don't have a typical "here's my rom file" for ScummVM. I guess I could just "import" several at a time, just clearing out all but one of the files for each game, then clearing the "rom" path, and then pulling them in as DOS and changing them over to ScummVM after the fact... I'm not sure if that would be much less time consuming though. I just want to make sure there isn't a better alternative currently. I was reading up on ScummVM command line options to see if there was some way to still use ScummVM as a normal LB emulator but making each entry use a specific launch command to indicate the appropriate game, but I haven't been able to get that to work yet in the brief amount of time I've messed with it.

I saw a number of tickets on Bitbucket regarding ScummVM but I didn't see one specifically for streamlining the import process. If the above is indeed the best method currently and nobody's aware of any other ticket requesting the functionality, I'll put one in.

• 1 month later...
Hi @Zombeaver, you're correct that this is currently the best method (though you shouldn't have to uncheck emulation iirc). To be honest, I usually start by importing everything as DOS games for use in DOSBox and only switch a game to ScummVM if it happens to play better there. Unfortunately the problem with ScummVM is there's no way to automatically identify which game it is from the folder using their automated command-line options, and ScummVM requires you to manually specify which game it is. So if you happen to have your ScummVM folders named properly with the name of the game, an import process would be feasible, but otherwise, there's no good way to handle it.

• 3 months later...

i know this an oldish thread, but is there any new way to import scummvm.

im using rocketlauncher with the games extracted to individual folders rather than zipped

to import them i used dummy txt files which seems fine in rocketlauncher, although they arent needed but  launchbox

wont load them it just brings up rocketlauncher test app with last sucsesfull game loaded

current application path looks like this

<ApplicationPath>..\Games\ScummVM\hopkins-win.txt</ApplicationPath>

i have noticed that some games dont have an exe file so iassume scummvm looks for something else

Edited by billyc999

thanks, although i just figured what was happening, the emulator had no command line so want launching.

it is launching correctly now though.

so my process is to have a folder with all games extracted to thier own folder

then a txt file with the name as the folder in the same folder so

..\Games\ScummVM\hopkins-win.txt

..\Games\ScummVM\hopkins-win

import the txt files , rocketlauncher only has txt in the rom extension and 7z is disabled, skip checks to rom only

launchbox command set as -f "H:\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe" -p RocketLauncherUI -s "ScummVM" -r

and all boots up.

lol i just deleted my emulator config, then realised it now does all the commandline stuff for you when selecting rocketlauncher

Edited by billyc999