LaunchBox Community Forums

A Few Random Questions

RolandofGilead

I'm tweaking my LaunchBox setup and have a few questions: 1. Is there a way to manually arrange the platform list? As far as I can tell it can only be listed alphabetically. I'd like to customize how the consoles are arranged. 2. In BigBox, can I force the preview image beneath the box art to only be a screenshot, and is there a way to set one specific screenshot to always display? 3 How do I set a specific Retroarch core per game? For example, a few Sega CD games require the 32X to run, so I need those games to use PicoDrive. Everything else can use Genesis Plus GX. Thanks.

Hi Roland, welcome! Currently, there is not a way to manually arrange the platform list, unfortunately. If you'd like, you can add it and vote for it on our issues list here: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox Per #2, honestly I thought you could do that, but I looked and it appears you can't. It looks like we need more options there as well for specifying which images/videos show up underneath the box art. For #3, I think people typically set up different platforms in that scenario, but what you could do if you want to keep the same platform, is add a second Retroarch emulator (not the files, just the emulator record in LaunchBox), and configure each differently and pick between the two when you're adding games for Sega CD.

Jason Carr said ...add a second Retroarch emulator (not the files, just the emulator record in LaunchBox), and configure each differently and pick between the two when you're adding games for Sega CD.
Yep, this is what I do. I do this for my "Arcade" platform because I have some games setup to run on RA / Final Burn Alpha and some to run on RA / MAME. Basically you just need to create a new LB emulator entry for your alternate core, name it something like "Retroarch - Picodrive", and add in the appropriate platform in the platform tab (presumably Sega CD) along with the launch command but directed to the Picodrive dll rather than the Genesis Plus GX one. Take a look at your existing RA emulator entry in LB as an example. Whatever it has listed for Sega CD in the platform tab, you want to mirror that on the new emulator entry you create, except that where it says something like "libretro_genesis_gx_plus.dll" you're going to be changing that to "libretro_picodrive.dll" (or whatever it is) in the new entry you're creating. Then you just need to right-click and edit any appropriate games, go to the emulation tab, and choose "Retroarch - Picodrive" as your emulator.