LaunchBox Community Forums

Wii Games WBFS what do i convert them to and with what

ALIE

WBFS is not the 1:1 copy of a Wii game. WBFS vary, since it depends if the one that made it scrubbed off data, like updates or just the parts that are not needed. I do not think the Wii CISO compresses the data, as much as just gets rid of the unneeded data, like the WBFS does. So even if there will be a tiny gain, you will not be able to compress WBFS further. I might be wrong, since i have not tried to mess with Wii images for a handful of years bad something might have changed, but at least back then, CISO was not better than WBFS.

That probably wont give you much after you've WBFSed it, but I would say to not do that to disc based games. Unless you have a really good PC that can decompress a 1-7GB file in seconds, compressing disc games is more trouble than it's worth. WBFS is the best possible solution for Wii. CSO, GCM, PBP being for other systems.

If you do not mind Commodore 64 Cassette loading times when starting a game, you could always try and see if it is worth to compress them. If 7z works a tiny bit, then compressing them will just gain you the experience people had when loading game in the far past. Well, you could consider that Emulation of loading times.

SentaiBrad said That probably wont give you much after you've WBFSed it, but I would say to not do that to disc based games. Unless you have a really good PC that can decompress a 1-7GB file in seconds, compressing disc games is more trouble than it's worth. WBFS is the best possible solution for Wii. CSO, GCM, PBP being for other systems.
but can dolphine read WBFS ? also can LB import them?

You could make up a phony file with a fake file extension and LB would import it in my experience. I do believe the Dolphin does indeed play wbfs files but I didn't confirm this I'm just going off of my somewhat fallible memory. Edit I can confirm that wbfs games do launch in Dolphin.

no problem with wbfs files in dolphin here it works great and you can indeed import them in launchbox just put Wii platform when LB ask. I tried compress wbfs with 7z but dont get really smaller size (somme Mo maybe but that's all) so I kept all wbfs files without compression

Yea once you already compress / remove junk data or the existing data compressing it again wont really work. You can put a zip in a rar in a 7zip, but you'll be gaining virtually nothing but getting longer decompression times. Dolphin works like a dream with WBFS, CISO, CSO and GCM formatted games.