LaunchBox Community Forums

I have a question regarding Big Box.

cejpe

Hello, I'm attempting to run LaunchBox and Retro Arch off of my personal home server. This is not an ideal way of doing things but at the moment my options are limited. This has resulted in a very convoluted process to get things up and running. Retro Arch does not run at all on my server, because OpenGL is not supported by my CPU/integrated graphics (I'm guessing). So, to get past this issue I decided to install Steam onto my server and use In-Home streaming to stream Retro Arch to my server. I created a shortcut of Retro Arch on my desktop computer, and transferred it to my server. Since Retro Arch is not installed on my server the link will instead stream Retro Arch through Steam. So I went ahead and installed LaunchBox; and setup Retro Arch (within LaunchBox) to use a batch file that just launches my Steam/stream shortcut since LaunchBox doesn't support .url file extensions, so it's already pretty over-complicated to just get Retro Arch to stream. My ROMs can only be on one system at a time. If I run a game through LaunchBox/BigBox, it launches Retro Arch like it's supposed to, but since Retro Arch is simply streaming, it cannot access the ROM files since they are located on my server. However, if I move the ROM files back to my desktop, then I will lose the nice interface you have created with LaunchBox/BigBox. My solution (or so I thought) was to instead install everything on my desktop, and create a shortcut of BigBox that can be sent over to my server and them streamed via Steam. This, however, does not work. When I execute BigBox (to be streamed from my desktop to my server) it launches BigBox on my desktop instead. So now that I've probably confused whoever is reading this my question is this: Can I run BigBox in a fullscreen/windowed environment, or does anyone know of any possible workarounds I maybe haven't thought of?

Ok I have some server experience but I am confused as to what you are trying to do so a few quick questions. 1st is your server headless or do you have it connected to a TV? 2nd what server OS are you running? I have streamed a few emulators and the roms from my server on multiple computers but stopped streaming the emulators due to having to setup the controllers every time I changed which computer I was using it on. I currently do stream roms from my server but only for 8 and 16 bit games anything past those early games I use from the system that I'm I'm on at the time.

My server is currently headless; I plan on connecting it to a T.V. if I can get this to work. I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2. The server is this one here. I think if I could get the streaming to work, while not my original plan, it would be ideal since I would also be able to stream any games I have installed on my desktop assuming they have controller support. I'm pretty new to working with servers, so this is a first for me.

I'm confused as to why you need the server at all if your goal is to use steam's in-home-streaming. I use in-home-streaming to stream Big Box + Retroarch (and a number of other emulators for that matter) from my desktop to a Steam Link in the living room or my laptop or my second PC. A dedicated server is not necessary to do this. If your goal is simply be able to stream and play roms over a network, I would remove a dedicated server from the equation as it's an unnecessary complication to that end. If the setup I described is what you're wanting (host PC streaming to other computers or a Steam Link over a network) I would be happy to assist, I just want to make sure there isn't some really important reason (that I'm not understanding) that you must do this by way of a server.

Ok what are you trying to stream it to? A TV. I don't really understand what you are trying to accomplish. I run both Windows Home Server 2011 and Windows 2012 R2 Essentials and I'm testing Server 2016 in a Hyper-V virtual machine. I use the 2012R2 as domain controller and to handle all of my client backups the 2011 I use for centralized storage and to run Plex, Calibre, and Ubooquity servers. I have a local instance of LaunchBox/BigBox on all of my computers same thing for the emulators and then I access some of the roms from my server this isn't an issue you just have to keep files in their original location when you import them. Also a quick search shows that your processor should definitely support OpenGL

DOS76 said I have a local instance of LaunchBox/BigBox on all of my computers same thing for the emulators and then I access some of the roms from my server
So in other words you're using the server purely to hold the roms and are maintaining multiple separate instances of LB and your emulators on each computer? That sounds like a logistical nightmare to update and maintain across multiple systems to me... Doing it with in-home-streaming means you have 1 host, 1 LB database, and 1 instance of each emulator that are accessible by as many computers (or Steam Links) as you want to add onto your network.

I don't see where the nightmare comes in having the emulator on the server and accessing it from multiple computers caused issues with controllers needing to be reset every time I used a different computer. Also I usually just copy the LaunchBox instance to another PC and then change things accordingly in the XML file using NotePad++. I also keep local ROMs for Saturn, Dreamcast, Wii, Gamecube, PS1, PS2 and PSP. How do you have your LB setup. I guess I could set it up on the server and then every computer would have access to one instance that's how all of my other media is setup.

Well, like I said I'm not using a server at all. I'm using a host which is my primary PC. With Steam in-home-streaming any PCs on the network that have Steam installed can be the host or client. Any client can stream from any host. You load up the device you want to play on (another PC or a Steam Link), choose the device you want to stream from, and then start the stream. Your inputs with a controller are sent through the network to the host machine. There's little to no discernible latency between input and action on the screen. It's something like <10ms. I can play Contra 3 or any other game that requires fast reactions with zero issue. I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between playing on the host and playing on a remote client. You can add non-steam applications to your steam library (like Launchbox or Big Box, for example) and control them via in-home-streaming.

Ok that sounds like how XBox One streaming works. I have Steam installed on a few systems but I don't really use it to much the games I have on there I just launch from LaunchBox. Do the clients have to have decent specs to handle the stream? Most of my HTPC's are ok for what they do but my I5 3330 and my I7 4770k are my best computers they both handle X-Box One streaming like champs I tried it on a laptop with a Core 2 Duo in my basement and the performance was lack luster to say the least but that could be due to the WiFi signal all 4 of my HTPC's are on Gigabit LAN. That sounds like it would work for what the OP is trying to do. Or at least it sounds less convoluted then what he is trying now.

The vast majority of the work is being placed on the host, not the client. Hardware decoding is client-side, but most PCs should be capable of that; and even if you're using a toaster as a client you could always use software encoding on the host (so that hardware decoding isn't necessary on the client) to get around it and the software encoding is quite good too. Network performance can be an issue for maintaining a high bitrate (25mbps+), but I've got a pretty substandard wireless router (it's wireless N, not wireless AC) and it still works great for me. I tend to leave it around 20mbps and it looks/runs great. I'm wired from host to router and wireless from router to Steam Link and the other PC. i7 4770k GTX 780 / 3GB 32GB DDR3 RAM Soudblaster Zx Windows 7 64-bit

To address some comments. @Zombeaver: I know that a server is not needed, but it's all that was available to me (other than a chromecast), and I just wanted to see if I could get it to work before I went out and spent some money. I was actually looking at the Steam Link as an option. I'm assuming you would just configure everything on the host PC and just stream Launch Box? @DOS76: I did some searching and had a hard time seeing if the integrated graphics from the Xeon processor supported running emulators. When I attempt to load an emulator like Dolphin it tells me that my CPU only supports OpenGL v1 as opposed to 2 or 3. I've attempted to install various drivers and I haven't had any luck; and like I said in the OP, RetroArch doesn't work at all and I don't know where or what to do to solve it. If you have any light you could shed on this I would seriously appreciate it. I just got this server about a week ago because it was on sale for $279 on Ebay and I haven't worked my way around the differences between a server environment and the vanilla desktop one just yet. I hope to get Hyper-V installed and run various VMs as well as take on various projects. Right now the server is used purely as a Plex Media Server. I know that using the server isn't the best way of doing things, but I was just trying to best utilize the tools available to me and I was hoping to setup an all in one HTPC-type experience while still being able to use the server for other tasks/projects. I know it I made it overly complicated but I'm just getting into tinkering with these sorts of things. Thank you both for all of your suggestions, I think I'm going to look into the Steam Link unless either of you have any other ideas. P.S. If the decoding is indeed client-side then a Steam Link may work out well, I've got: i7 4790k GTX 970x2 16GB DDR3 RAM The only drawback would be WiFi although the tv's are maybe 40 feet from the router.

Yeah those are decent specs for anything. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to RA but I am sure that your Xeon can run at least some emulators I have two Windows tablets one with 1GB of RAM and one with 2GB both have the same Atom processor and I run Nintendo (NES, Super Nintendo, N64, Gameboy (all 3 versions) Collecovision Sega (Master System, Game 1000, Genesis, Game Gear, CD, 32X) Turbo Grafx 16. I've never really tried to anything much higher than those I don't have the space to store the games on there and doubt they would perform well anyway. If you need any assistance with your server both We Got Served and The Home Server Show have a lot of knowledgeable people on there.

cejpe said I'm assuming you would just configure everything on the host PC and just stream Launch Box?
Yes, that's correct. Any configuration is done on the host. The Steam Link is just facilitating remote access, similar to something like GoToMyPC except that this is specifically designed for gaming - low latency, high visual quality, and the ability to send controller inputs to the host. I'm using a wireless 360 controller (the USB dongle has to be plugged into the Link) and a Logitech K400 which also uses a USB dongle. If you're wanting to use the Link for emulation, a wireless keyboard/mouse combo is highly recommended. Got have all those F-keys! :) If you do choose to go this route, let me know if you need any help with setup as this has been my ongoing project for more than a month now. One thing you may want to consider, if able, is to just test out normal Steam in-home-streaming between two PCs/laptops - the performance should be mostly identical to using the Link. I tested that pretty extensively prior to purchasing my Link because I wanted to work out any kinks beforehand.

DOS76 said If you had an HTPC though you wouldn't need a link right you would just be able to stream from your main PC to all of your other PC's.
Yes, that's correct. If you have an actual HTPC, the Link is unnecessary - you would just use normal Steam in-home-streaming on the HTPC. The purpose of the Link is simply to have that same functionality by way of a small box that costs $50.

@Zombeaver: I was messing around with in-home streaming before I had to head to work this morning. It worked flawlessly streaming to an 8 year old laptop. I was running a couple different PS2 games at 6x the native resolution without any hangups. Outside of the really good performance, however, there were a couple of problems. The first being that I can't control Big Box mode with my controller for some reason, have you experienced this issue? I have to physically walk over to my host computer to navigate the menus. Once Retro Arch launches then the issue is gone. A second issue is with playing PS2 games, it will launch PCSX2 and load the game, and I'm able to control it, but my controller will also move the mouse around. I can see the cursor move across the screen depending on my input. There was another time where I loaded it and just hitting 'B' on my controller cause it to exit the game. I think this is an issue with the emulator losing focus and causing the controller input to make it exit. @DOS76 I'm jealous of the multiple HTPCs, hope to be there someday. The steam link seems like a good alternative though, hopefully it works out ok. If you're emulating on all of your HTPCs, it would be really cool to sync your save games across the house, so you're able to pick up where you left on any PC in the house. Do you keep the ROMs seperate or are the accessible via NAS or something similar?

ROMs on my server are totally shareable. On the HTPC's most of the emulator folders are shareable. Zombeavers method is interesting though since it sounds like I could play more advanced emulators on less capable hardware. As for HTPC's anything will work as one I am using an old laptop as one at the moment so if you have one laying around preferably with HDMI (but no at all necessary as there are hybrid cables and some HDTV's have VGA PC port built in) you can hook one up quickly.

cejpe said ...I can't control Big Box mode with my controller for some reason, have you experienced this issue?
Yep, it's a known issue. My suspicion is that it's a focus issue being caused by the Big Box logo. Check this out. Currently your options are to use a keyboard for input (this is what I'm doing), use LB for the time being, or try using VirtualHere. VH causes some problems with audio for me though. Jason has the feature request to allow removal of the logo marked as critical now, so hopefully that will be fixed soon.
cejpe said A second issue is with playing PS2 games, it will launch PCSX2 and load the game, and I'm able to control it, but my controller will also move the mouse around. I can see the cursor move across the screen depending on my input. There was another time where I loaded it and just hitting 'B' on my controller cause it to exit the game. I think this is an issue with the emulator losing focus and causing the controller input to make it exit.
Yep, I gotcha covered. Check out my post on the Steam Link forums here. You have to disable PCSX2's console window.

Thank you for the suggestions, having a lot of fun with this project so far. Do you have any suggestions for other resources/forums I could check out that deal with emulating on RA/Launch Box? I'm interested in some of the CRT overlays, they added a nostalgia factor I didn't even realize I was missing.