LaunchBox Community Forums

Nintendo DS HELP!!!!!

robcop

Good afternoon, New to this product, but have already paid for the Premium version and so far I love it. My question is about Nintendo DS. I currently have RetroArch 1.2.2 on my machine with Windows 10 x64. I have downloaded the DeSmuME core and when I try to run any Nintendo DS game it crashes and gives me an error stating it crashed. Not sure what the issue is. This happens if I run RetroArch alone or in LaunchBox. I have also tried running DeSmuME_0.9.11_x64 stand alone. It works great, but there is no full screen option. I know if I press Alt + Enter it will go into full screen. Does anyone know of a AutoHotkey script that I can place in the AutoHotkey script part for the emulator to make the emulator auto go into full screen. I only use my XBOX controller while running Big Box Mode and I don't want to have a keyboard plugged it. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Desmume doesn't require BIOS, so that isn't it. Are your path settings correct? Are you loading the proper roms? You could try making a new config for the Desmume core and have it load if it fixes your problem. Otherwise I don't recommend the Desmume core in RetroArch. I do recommend the base emulator or the fork of it. The fork is called DeSmuME X432R and performs a bit better with the option for internal scaling. It is the one I prefer to use. http://www.geocities.jp/gponys/desmume_aa.html This scaling technically exists in RA but... "The latest development version of RetroArch DeSmuME core also has an option to increase internal resolution which can be set using desmume_internal_resolution in Core Options. This option was added in August 8, 2015 commit. This is massively CPU-intensive because only SoftRasterizer exists in RetroArch core." So it is more CPU intensive than X432R would be and you can't get it to load anyways... The only known way to enter full screen is with Alt + Enter. This is a common combination, but there is no command line argument to start the emulator in fullscreen.

• 2 months later...
Is there really no way to get Desmume running in full screen...? Seems such a simple thing to do. (Well it is for every other emulator) Is there not something we can add into the command line to replicate Alt+Enter upon loading a rom through launchbox please? I tried running NoGba emulator, but the sound emulation was not accurate, and there is very little in the way of configuration. Desmume has everything dammit, except auto full screen. So please can someone help with a solution to auto fullscreen Desmume on startup, and ill be forever grateful, Thanks.

I don't think AHK can setup an auto press it would allow you to set up an alt+enter combination scenario that you would have to implement with your controller. You may be able to make a .bat (batch file) that you would replace the emulator with that would run DeSmuMe and then carry out the key presses to enter full screen but if you don't know anything about scripting that may not work out for you. I don't know much about it and just copy others scripts when I find them useful so I can't help on that side. I'm not an expert on AHK either so I could be wrong and it may handle auto presses but from the little I know of it I don't think it works that way.

Neither am I, I generally don't have the need for AHK or other automatic solutions because I usually have my keyboard and mouse right in front of me. However, I am certain you can set it up to automatically run Alt + Enter, or get yourself in a situation where you can do a controller combination.

Well I been searching for a very long time over weeks for this. There are tons of people out there using Launchbox who don't want to use Retro acrch for various reasons, such as the terrible sound emulation, when compared with Desmume. There are always plenty of questions as how to go about full screening Launchbox, but actually NO one has resolved this issue across any forum. Nintendo DS emulation also faces major issues when launching through front ends, because every game needs specifc setups. Some games play portrait mode, some horizontal, which means every game needs individual setups somehow, or you'd be playing many of the games sideways. Really before Launchbox can consider working with DS emulation, it needs some way of setting these rotations up, along with "Should the screen be above the other screen, or to the side" 1 script or batch file is never going to fix these issuse then, and it will require it's own unique NDS tab (Like ScummVM and Dos has) ideally with options for users to choose between rotated mode etc. Emulating NDS on a phone is easy to do, and comes with all the options for screen rotations, (Which it individually saves for each and every game rom) Maybe a better question would be, what would currently be the best way to play an NDS game through Launchbox, so that it remembers it's own individual screen rotations and sizes when launching, based on the last launch (How mobile phone app works) Thanks

Well to really be able to do that would require developing the emulator further or coding part of the emulator or hooking in to it. The simple solution is config or command line arguments. You'd need to set it up per game outside of LB anyways, so setting it up inside of LB would be no different. It is the same logic that I use with RetroArch, except if Desmume has proper per-game command line argument handles (like screen orientation), or has custom config loading as well you can set these per game. Edit a game, and below the box where it shows the target rom is a command line parameters box. Here is where you can set up loading custom configs or loading specific settings through the command line. This is all predicated of course on one of these options existing. If they do, the fix can be very easy.

So batch files for each individual games would be the best setup for Nintendo DS it seems. I've never made a batch file before, bu they're pretty straight forwards so far. (added /p= so I can see what it's doing) I've got the emulator running, but then how would I relate that to a rom in a completely different directory using a batch file? d: cd "D:\LaunchBoxExtra\Emulators\Nintendo DS" Start DeSmuME_0.9.11_x64.exe set /p= --- This can actually work if your nds file has the file type associated with Desmume, however to send alt and Enter as part of that bat file is still the same brick wall... -_-

@DudeChester for games that are rotated on launch I created a copy of my DeSmuME folder except the .ini file and named it DeSmuMe Horizontal now when ever I discover a game that launches wrong I just go into edit and change the emulator to the horizontal version. I named it Horizontal before I realized that changing the LCD layout wouldn't fix the issue but using rotation would.

DOS76 said @DudeChester for games that are rotated on launch I created a copy of my DeSmuME folder except the .ini file and named it DeSmuMe Horizontal now when ever I discover a game that launches wrong I just go into edit and change the emulator to the horizontal version. I named it Horizontal before I realized that changing the LCD layout wouldn't fix the issue but using rotation would.
hmmm I like it! That's rather a genius idea actually :D Is it possible to change that ini file to be full screen also? I tried changing the window sizes, but it didn't seem to effect anything thanks

Well you solved the mystery of rotation. Because using 2 separate Emulators one for horizontal and one for Portrait will keep the correct rotations when loading games through Launchbox. The ONLY issue left, is the full screen. There is definitely no full screen option in there at all, however alt + enter does make it full screen which is just plain silly. Why would they leave that option out? Especially being the most accurate DS emulator out there?