LaunchBox Community Forums

Controlling interface with controller crashes Launchbox and BigBox

scottishdad

Hi All, I'm very close to having a really nice Launchbox set-up on my Surface 3 except for one problem. Ideally I'd like to be able to use Launchbox without having to attach a keyboard, but so far, I'm not having much luck. Config is as follows: - Surface 3 - Windows 10 - Launchbox 5.8 and corresponding BigBox - Xbox One controller When I try and set up either Launchbox or BigBox to use the controller to navigate either program will freeze. Any thoughts? I don't really need to use the controller to navigate, but I do need some way of quitting an emulator without having to use the escape key. Ideally Launchbox and/or BigBox would work with the controller, but I'm open to alternatives. Cheers, Greig

For closing an emulator from a controller a program called Xpadder or Joy2Key can help you map Esc to one of your controller buttons. The alternative is also AutoHotKey scripts, but I don't utilize them so maybe @DOS76 can help there. Otherwise, crashing is obviously not supposed to happen. If you have a 360 or PS4 controller, have you tried one of these to see if the crashing still happens? Maybe some rogue software like AV software? I'll pass this on to Jason to see if he could think of any other reason why it could crash.

DOS76 said Its a driver issue with Windows I don't know if Xbox One has older drivers but that is what fixed recent issues I had with XBox 360 controllers.
Well the PS4 controllers use the same drivers and I didn't have any issues, so it could be a system by system case. It is worthwhile to try and roll back your drivers @scottishdad

Many people have the XBox One issue. In my case it was with one of the latest beta builds of Windows 10 that made the controllers go wonky every time you turned them on the screen went completely white and didn't work when you pulled the battery from the controller your computer would need to be signed into again rolling back the drivers fixed the issue for me. Their is a post about the XBOne controllers on the forum started by Dovella awhile ago I'm about to walk out the door to go to school so I don't have time to elaborate on which specific post it is. I would try rolling back the drivers though for his controller just in case that works.

Tried again with a 360 controller. This time Big Box mode is stable and the controller can control the interface with no issues. Unfortunately, it still isn't possible to quit the running emulator without having to use the keyboard. Set up is as follows: -Options->Controller->enanble game controllers checked. Use all controllers unchecked. ->Controller Autohotkey->Use controller AutoHotKey checked. Hold button: Button 5 (click in left stick); Close the active window (Button 6 (click in right stick). No other buttons are assigned. Clicking in the left stick and holding, then clicking in the right stick has no effect, no matter how long I hold them both in for. Is there any way to check that Autohotkey is correctly installed and configured?

I just tested it everything is working fine for me. Edit: Actually further testing has resulted in BigBox crashing three times the third time I didn't even try to open a game yet it just crashed. I have issues with LaunchBox crashing when I have the AHK turned on so I just don't use it. Funny even after turning off the AHK Big Box crashed exiting a Atari 5200 game.

Hey all, hoping most, if not all, of these issues are solved. Just put out a new beta that supports XInput. Microsoft really screwed the pooch with DirectInput and those Xbox One controller drivers. LaunchBox, Big Box, and AutoHotkey were all crashing similarly due to the driver glitches.

Microsoft released an update for their controller drivers that completely messed things up. As for the exact problem, we're not really sure. We just know when you had 2 or more controllers plugged in, and even with 1 controller plugged in, it created a bunch of issues amd conflicts. Microsoft does need to fix this one, but I doubt they notice or care. They released this update and it is completely broken. Also yea, it will cause problems with other software that deals with Direct Input or XInput devices for the Xbox One and even some 360 controllers.

Great... well I noticed the latest update moved the triggers back onto the same axis when using dinput, that should have fixed a lot of older games, now we get this weird behavior in other apps. If you can find any more detail let me know I'd like to at least report this, might as well try.