LaunchBox Community Forums

Poor sound quality in RetroArch 1.3.0

NormalNomad

Well there is a whole bunch of things that sort of work together here that could cause the issue depending on your hardware, more specifically your CPU speed and core you are using.

Frame Delay ties to V-Sync and input lag, you want to have it has high as you can before sound issues pop up then you just dial it back one step. The higher you set it the less input lag you will have but more demand gets put on your CPU and in turn causes issues.

Shaders can increase the load on your hardware and depending on the shader being used some will have a larger effect. the easymode shader is not a terribly heavy shader at all. If you want to try without a shader you can but that will be up to you. Or you could try another shader like hyllian or crt-pi which are very light weight shaders and see if those have a look you like and have any difference in performance for you.

Strange thing, my NUC is not that slow (Intel i5 5th gen, and a quite fast Intel HD Graphics 6000, 8Gb HyperX mem).
My Pi 3 is also very capable of running these games without any troubles, so I wonder what the problem is (or was).
Anyway, the issue is now gone so I'm happy, thanks for the useful information!

CPU speed 1.60GHz to 2.70GHz.
I know Intel Graphic chips are not very fast but I can play Dirt Rally with relatively high specs on it, so an old PSX game shouldn't be a real issue imo.
Still, since Retropie is also based on RetroArch and the Pi 2 and 3 are running PSX iso's just great, why should a NUC have troubles running it? It's way faster.
Or is it the OS ("Big Bertha" Windows 10) that makes the whole difference?

An emulator running compared to a game programmed natively for the OS is completely different and cannot be compared. Even perfect 100% Snes emulation using the BSnes Accuracy core or the Higan emulator requires a 3 Ghz cpu which is quite a lot compared the the original Snes hardware.

The Pi does run the emulation just fine but I am assuming it is using some of the same tweaks to get it running smoothly as we are using here like the Hard GPU Sync Frames or possibly even Threaded Video On. But like you have seen you can get it running just fine, it's just a matter of fine tuning and tweaking certain settings. These specific settings like Hard GPU Sync and Frame Delay effect input lag so the Pi is probably sacrificing a little bit of input lag for smoother gameplay.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is late, but I just turned the frameskip from 0 to 1 and that solved the audio issue completely. I'm using RetroArch version 1.6.7. You have to start a game, then press f1 to open the menu, go down to options, and you'll find frameskip. All my audio options are at default. The game I'm using is New Super Mario Bros. for Nintendo DS. I'm also using windows 7 on an ancient laptop, so I imagine it should work for anyone.