LaunchBox Community Forums

Tron Controller?

Drybonz

What sort of budget do you have in mind ? And by thumb button on top for dial operation do you mean a hat switch ? At the lower end price range the Thrustmaster T-1600 M (amazon link) is supposed to be good quality, the guys over on the Elite: Dangerous forums swear by it at the lower price range sticks. I have a Saitek X-55 which has mixed reviews ranging from piece of crap to quality to people having no problems with it. I have had no problems with mine, but it is kind of pricey at near 300$ US on Amazon currently. I got mine on sale for 200$ Canadian. There is also the Saitek X-52 which is a bit more affordable at 140$ and 160$ for the Pro version, again mixed reviews like the X-55. And then of course you have the beast of a flight stick, the Thrustmaster Warthog at 400$ but it is made of metal and is supposedly awesome. I haven't set mine up for Tron, I will try it out later and I will give it a go on Star Wars as well.

Thanks for the reply... I would say I'm looking at the lower end of the price spectrum simply because I don't play any flight sim games... I'm just looking for something for Tron, Space Harrier, and some others. I don't need the stick with the separate throttle, etc (I don't think so anyway)... the real trick is just having a button on board I can use for a dial (a la Tron).

After messing around with my flight stick and trying it out and looking around there are some settings to look at. For each game in MameUI right click and go to Properties. Then in the controllers section try setting the deadzone to 0 and saturation to 1.00. For Star Wars after starting up the game move your stick around in a full circle or else the aiming cursor will be off center.

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got my flight stick. I went with the Logitech. I was playing some Discs of Tron, Space Harrier, Afterburner and a couple others with it so far. Works pretty well. Thanks again for the suggestions. This is the first flightstick I have owned and I notice that the throw is pretty gigantic. I know they were not made for arcade emulation, but it doesn't feel exactly right sometimes. I seem to remember the throw on those sticks being a lot smaller, but it's been a long time too. I looked at the cost of an actual Happ flightstick to mount in a control panel today and they are pretty expensive.

Yeah the throw can be huge compared to the old arcade sticks since they are made for modern flight sims. All I can suggest is have a look at the settings in Mame itself and also in game open the menu with "Tab" and mess with the sensitivity settings in there. You may be able to tweak to be suitable for your needs.

It's not too bad really... I was messing with the settings you mentioned, above... the downside is that it's not usable for Tron because of the lack of 4-way. The bike level is impossible. I was thinking of checking the logitech gaming software to see if it had a directional limiter, but I doubt it does.