LaunchBox Community Forums

Import problem with thegamesdb.net and 404 Error

Wakdikyat

Hi, When I do a mass import of NES games and the there are missing pictures on thegamesdb.net, the games just fail to import when though I click "import" anyway. It errors out with a 404 error or file not found on remote site. I could add it manually.. I still get the 404 error but the game at least import and some of the picture shows up. Here's some NES roms that game me problems: Salom (USA).zip Sky Shark (USA) (Rev 0A).zip Swamp Thing (USA).zip Any hints would be appreciated. I'm manually adding about 130 games that's having this problem. BTW, once imported, the game works fine. Thanks!

That could just mean your internet is freaking out or the GamesDB is not working. When the scan is done it will say there were errors, but do you still want to add the games? Hit yes. At any time you can Ctrl + A one of your systems games and scan for metadata and images from the menu.

My internet is working okay. it's a problem on how launchbox handles images that are NOT found on gamesdb. I could add the game one by one manually and when I download the image manually I get the 404 error and it'll still let me import. The only problem is when I'm doing this is batch mode, the 404 stops any type of import of those roms files.

I'm having the same problem. It happens with other systems too for a couple ROMs but Nintendo Entertainment System is the worst. There are errors like this for 135 games. I set the import to search for local metadata and TheGamesDB.net. It's also using my emumovies login to look there for media. I attached a screenshotLaunchBox-ROM-import.png

Jason Carr said Hi @franklb, that shouldn't be happening for all ROMs unless the site is down or there's an issue with your connection. Or, if you're using EmuMovies, it's possible that the daily download limit was hit.
Hi. It didn't happen for all ROMs. 656/791 were imported correctly. 135/791 had this error. I have a lifetime membership to emumovies and never hit any kind of limit before so I don't think I hit a limit. And even if I did, it would be better if the ROMs were imported with no metadata and media, than not imported at all.

Well if you have a Lifetime license then the limit doesn't matter, however LaunchBox still asks you if you want to keep these games, and if you hit yes they stay in your library just with no metadata. Besides the limit these sites could have been having a high load of traffic, getting DDoS attacked or your connection in your area was under load due to a lot of people being on at once. There are a lot of reasons to be getting that error.

SentaiBrad said Well if you have a Lifetime license then the limit doesn't matter, however LaunchBox still asks you if you want to keep these games, and if you hit yes they stay in your library just with no metadata. Besides the limit these sites could have been having a high load of traffic, getting DDoS attacked or your connection in your area was under load due to a lot of people being on at once. There are a lot of reasons to be getting that error.
That's the thing. I hit yes to keep imported files but these still are not imported.

Today I deleted all the Nintendo Entertainment Systems (NES) games from my LaunchBox library. I also deleted all NES media from the Images, Manuals, Music and Videos folders since removing games from the library doesn't delete media (?). I then imported them all again. I got the same result as previously. Only 656/791 were imported correctly.

Media doesn't get removed because if you're gonna add games back like you did, who wants to re-download all of that data? Tools -> Clean up Images at the bottom should remove excess or data not associated to any game anymore. Though it should probably get name changed to Clean Up Downloaded Material or something. How are you importing games, by Folder or by Files? Also are those games still in your library just not associated to a platform? Pick a game that didn't get imported and copy it's name, open up your LaunchBox XML in Notepad++. Ctrl + F and copy paste the name of the game in to it. Does Notepad++ show you any games with that name? It there is a game that exists with that exact name in your LaunchBox XML that means it exists somewhere in LB, or when you removed games for some reason it didn't remove the entry from the LB XML and so it won't import the game because it thinks it exists. Have you tried re-importing with the new Beta? There is some nicer error handling when it comes to this but if you are getting errors when searching for metadata, and LB asks you if you still want to add these games to your library, selecting yes should still add them regardless. This has happened to me before, the games just get added with no metadata.

SentaiBrad said Media doesn't get removed because if you're gonna add games back like you did, who wants to re-download all of that data? Tools -> Clean up Images at the bottom should remove excess or data not associated to any game anymore. Though it should probably get name changed to Clean Up Downloaded Material or something.
Thanks I didn't know about that.
How are you importing games, by Folder or by Files?
I did all the imports by Folder. I tried to re-import the NES games by files to see if it would make a difference but it didn't.
Also are those games still in your library just not associated to a platform? Pick a game that didn't get imported and copy it's name, open up your LaunchBox XML in Notepad++. Ctrl + F and copy paste the name of the game in to it. Does Notepad++ show you any games with that name? It there is a game that exists with that exact name in your LaunchBox XML that means it exists somewhere in LB, or when you removed games for some reason it didn't remove the entry from the LB XML and so it won't import the game because it thinks it exists.
I checked what you suggested. "Super Mario Bros. 3" doesn't import. The only game in the LaunchBox.xml that matched was the GBA game "Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3". So there doesn't seem to be "orphaned" entried in the xml.
Have you tried re-importing with the new Beta? There is some nicer error handling when it comes to this but if you are getting errors when searching for metadata, and LB asks you if you still want to add these games to your library, selecting yes should still add them regardless. This has happened to me before, the games just get added with no metadata.
I haven't tried the Beta yet but I'll give it a try.

SMB3 is a game that should get imported, it is super popular, has tons of Meta Data behind it so I wonder if LB is having issues... Have you imported games with "force importing duplicates" to see what happens? Also, this isn't a solution for all 130ish games that didn't get imported, but have you tried adding 1 game by its self? Take SMB3, in the bottom right there is an add button. Press it, input the games name in the top, select the platform it belongs to in the drop down (so Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)). The first browse box on the bottom hit browse and select the rom from that menu. Then back in the edit box hit the emulation tab, select the check box and choose the emulator you use from the drop down menu. It is a bit labored vs the rom importer but see if that works.

Thanks for helping me! "force importing duplicates" doesn't change anything. Still fails to import. Manually creating an entry for Super Mario Bros. 3 as you described does work. There is even artwork that must have been downloaded from thegamesdb.net while I was trying to import. No Video from emumovies though.

Jason Carr said Hi @franklb, are you getting any errors showing up in the list for those ROMs?
Sorry I don't really understand what you mean by the list. However I managed to narrow down the problem. The problem is the emumovies feature! 1- I did a fresh install of LaunchBox 5.7 in another folder. I imported my NES library using the default settings without configuring emumovies: every ROM was imported. 2- I did another fresh install of LaunchBox 5.7. This time I imported my NES library with default settings and I configured the emumoves support with my login and password: only 656/791 were imported.