LaunchBox Community Forums

Import problem with thegamesdb.net and 404 Error

Wakdikyat

• 8 months later...
Just now, Jason Carr said:

Hi @schmosef, this thread is really old; we don't even use thegamesdb.net anymore. What exactly are you seeing?

Hi Jason,

Thanks for responding. Sorry for the necropost.

I've been a "forever" premium member for a while but just got around to building a MAME cab and ran into this problem. Up until now I've been using LaunchBox with GOG games and haven't seen this issue yet.

After I posted here I saw the other thread that talks about thegamesdb.net site issues.

Anyway, I'm following your video tutorial on importing a MAME collection and I notice that during the import an error counter in the bottom right is racking up an impressive count.

At the end of the process a window pops up with a scrollable list of all the errors and asks me if I want to import the ROMs that did not have errors.

I don't remember the exact wording but all the errors say something like "404 error" contacting "api.thegamesdb.net". I should have taken a screenshot. I'll do another import and get one.

Also note that I'm an EmuMovies platinum member as well. I saw earlier in this thread how that might be connected to this problem.

Ah, gotcha. That's actually not thegamesdb.net; I'm guessing it's the database that EmuMovies uses. It could be that EmuMovies is having trouble; go ahead and try again and save the error if it happens again. That way we can talk to Circo from EmuMovies about it and get it fixed. Otherwise, it's probably just minor downtime or a fluke. :)

Hi @Jason Carr,

You are correct. I misremembered the URL. It's api.gamesdbase.com. Sorry. I work in IT and I hate when customers give me bad info. Oh well...

I've attached a screenshot.

This is from part way through importing a 0.178 MAME ROM collection. I used the filtering you recommend in your video, except I didn't skip adult games (I probably should have; they are all terrible).

Is there a way to dump this to a text file? Would it help to have that?

My concern is that, per the comment earlier in the thread, the games with download errors are not going to be imported into LaunchBox. Or has that issue been resolved?

Errors while importing MAME ROM collection.png

I found another thread here with the same issue I'm having.

In that case the user was not a premium EmuMovies member.

I'm going to ask about this issue on the EmuMovies forums. It's possible that one of their API systems doesn't know I have a premium account.

Edited by schmosef

Well, on the bright side, I can confirm that the import issue for games that had download errors is indeed fixed.

The import above, with EmuMovies selected, and the filter settings mentioned previously, resulted in 2899 games being imported with around 6000 errors reported.

I then cleared the games list and redid the import with the same filters, this time selecting "none" from EmuMovies. The result was also 2899 games imported, but this time there were no errors reported.