LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch doesn´t want to work on Launchbox

MartGux

• 3 weeks later...
I am having the same problem. I can launch RA from a command prompt using a zipped rom just fine. However, Launchbox doesn't do anything, aside from increment the play count, when trying to launch a game. I added -L cores\fceumm_libretro.dll to the command line parameters. I also tried adding an absolute path to the core dll. Unfortunately, nothing happens. I have also tried using retroarch_debug.exe, which displays a console window when launched, to see what is going on, however it disappears to quick. That lead me to make a batch file to capture the command being given to retroarch.exe, however, Launchbox refuses to launch .cmd or .bat files, saying the file was not found. I believe this to be an unfortunate programmer decision, as it makes debugging and customization more difficult. The full command I gave to RA to make it run is: d: etroarch etroarch.exe -L cores\fceumm_libretro.dll "c:\launchbox\games\Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)\Bubble Bobble (USA) [Hack by Dragon Eye Studios v1.0] (~Bubble Bobble Madness).zip" Aside from specifying the path to retroarch.exe in the actual command the sample command in the manage editors is identical. I wonder, is Launchbox not specifying the path to the ROM? Please, add some debugging to Launchbox so we can simply resolve these issues.

tomf80 said I am having the same problem. I can launch RA from a command prompt using a zipped rom just fine. However, Launchbox doesn't do anything, aside from increment the play count, when trying to launch a game. I added -L cores\fceumm_libretro.dll to the command line parameters. I also tried adding an absolute path to the core dll. Unfortunately, nothing happens. I have also tried using retroarch_debug.exe, which displays a console window when launched, to see what is going on, however it disappears to quick. That lead me to make a batch file to capture the command being given to retroarch.exe, however, Launchbox refuses to launch .cmd or .bat files, saying the file was not found. I believe this to be an unfortunate programmer decision, as it makes debugging and customization more difficult. The full command I gave to RA to make it run is: d: etroarch etroarch.exe -L cores\fceumm_libretro.dll "c:\launchbox\games\Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)\Bubble Bobble (USA) [Hack by Dragon Eye Studios v1.0] (~Bubble Bobble Madness).zip" Aside from specifying the path to retroarch.exe in the actual command the sample command in the manage editors is identical. I wonder, is Launchbox not specifying the path to the ROM? Please, add some debugging to Launchbox so we can simply resolve these issues.
So you can launch any type of file, that isn't an error on the coding part. You can launch bat's all day long. The command for -L "cores\fceumm_libretro.dll" looks correct so let's run down some few things that can cause it to not launch. You have the core downloaded because you loaded it just fine outside of LB, it doesn't require BIOS, and I thought most of RA doesn't launch zip or archived extensioned files, but I guess so. For RetroArch specifically more so than other emulators, the name in the associated path and the name on the left hand side in RetroArch need to match so that it knows what core to load. So in this case Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) is the default name, so that would need to be the name used in both. Because it's a simple system there really shouldn't be too much to troubleshoot except for pathing errors. -L "cores\fceumm_libretro.dll" in the Default Command Line, matching names in Associated Platforms and your Platforms list, and making sure you've got the core downloaded, which you do.

My mistake on the batch file, I had put an extra dot in the filename. Working on a TV is difficult. It seems the problem was under the associated emulators tab, I didn't choose the preferred core, so nestopia was being called rather than fceumm. Can we get a debug checkbox that logs the exact command given to make troubleshooting these kind of things easier in the future? Thanks.
For RetroArch specifically more so than other emulators, the name in the associated path and the name on the left hand side in RetroArch need to match so that it knows what core to load. So in this case Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) is the default name, so that would need to be the name used in both.
Not sure what you mean here, but I got it working. Thanks.

tomf80 said My mistake on the batch file, I had put an extra dot in the filename. Working on a TV is difficult. It seems the problem was under the associated emulators tab, I didn't choose the preferred core, so nestopia was being called rather than fceumm. Can we get a debug checkbox that logs the exact command given to make troubleshooting these kind of things easier in the future? Thanks.
For RetroArch specifically more so than other emulators, the name in the associated path and the name on the left hand side in RetroArch need to match so that it knows what core to load. So in this case Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) is the default name, so that would need to be the name used in both.
Not sure what you mean here, but I got it working. Thanks.
There is a System name on the left of LaunchBox and there is a System name for your consoles in the Associated Platforms list when editing RetroArch. Every emulator has the Associated Platforms list, this is where default is checked for when importing games and the default command line parameter is for using command line arguments like loading a core or config file for RA. The two names need to match. If you named your system NES during import, not only will you have some issues scraping for metadata (though you shouldn't, but you could) the name will not match the name in Associated Platforms. NES doesn't match Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). Honestly a debug box wouldn't really help here? LaunchBox won't know that you are trying to load a different core. It might know if the two names are different and could probably say something when importing your games, but there is a reason we have a default list of names and this being one of them. If you are intending to use a different core and download a different core, LaunchBox doesn't know this. In my tutorials this is something I do go over, making sure the names are right, making sure to download the cores you want to use then changing the name of the core name in the Default Command Line parameters.

• 1 year later...

Hi!, I'm having the same issues, i have N64 working perfect with retroarch but with snes do not load at all, But if i go directly with retroarch i can play  all snes roms with no problem is only when i try to use lucnhbox that dosent work. i re-add all snes roms  3 times by now with no luck. any help?

1 minute ago, danielfx27 said:

Hi!, I'm having the same issues, i have N64 working perfect with retroarch but with snes do not load at all, But if i go directly with retroarch i can play  all snes roms with no problem is only when i try to use lucnhbox that dosent work. i re-add all snes roms  3 times by now with no luck. any help?

What snes core are you using in retroarch? And have you made sure that is the core that Launchbox is actually trying to load?

Just now, danielfx27 said:

Hi thanks for your answer, the name of the core is SNES SUPER FARMICOM (Snes9x) sorry i don't know how to see what core is lunchbox trying to load.

Go to Tools/Manage Emulators, double click Retroarch and then click the associated platform tab, find snes and see what the command line says. Here is how mine looks, i use the bsnes core for snes though.

Screenshot (309).png