LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch doesn´t want to work on Launchbox

MartGux

I´ve been having trouble trying to use SNES roms with RetroArch through Launchbox. Whenever I try to access a rom a little blue circle appears and then nothing happens. I´ve checked if everything under the associated platforms tab is properly named multiple times, tried different cores, uninstalling and reinstalling, but nothing works and I have run out of ideas. I also checked the forums to see if I could find something but nothing workedFrown.

Does it work outside of LaunchBox? if so you probably have a naming issue with your platforms or an issue with your cores not being names correctly in the manage emulator section under tools. Check out some of Brad's video tutorials under the video tutorials heading at the top of the page.

Do your roms load from within ReatroArch itself ? If they do then you have something not quite set up right in Launchbox, if not then it's a problem with your roms and right off the top of my head my first guess is that the rom is in zip format. Some more details on your setup and if possible some screenshots of your settings may help.

DOS76 said Does it work outside of LaunchBox? if so you probably have a naming issue with your platforms or an issue with your cores not being names correctly in the manage emulator section under tools. Check out some of Brad's video tutorials under the video tutorials heading at the top of the page.
Yes and I checked the names of cores and platforms but they are named correctly. I already checked Brad´s video tutorials and couldn´t find anything.
lordmonkus said Do your roms load from within ReatroArch itself ? If they do then you have something not quite set up right in Launchbox, if not then it's a problem with your roms and right off the top of my head my first guess is that the rom is in zip format. Some more details on your setup and if possible some screenshots of your settings may help.
Yes and they are in zip format but when I unzip or change the extension RetroArch opens but it freezes and closes. My settings Error-1.pngError-2-1.png

Ok in the left pane when LB is open your SNES platform is named Super Nintendo (SNES) just like your associated platform is? Sorry to ask it sounds like you are saying it does but since I'm not sure I thought I would ask again. I'm relatively new to RA but SNES was the first system I setup using it and it worked so seamlessly that I'm surprised that there is an issue if you have everything named correctly though I'm out of ideas as to what is causing your issues. Mismatching platform names and core mistakes are usually the leading causes of RA troubles in LaunchBox.

2 things come to mind immediately to try out and thats to extract your roms and they should be in .smc format (.sfc should work as well). All my roms are extracted. The other thing I can see that may be causing the issue is the fact you have your RetroArch installed to a folder on your desktop. Try having it in a folder like "C:\Games\Retroarch", the desktop may give UAC problems. I know it's not a Windows 10 issue because my laptop is using Windows 10 without issue.

fromlostdays OP says he has it working outside of LB so I would assume that if the core can run .zip files then LaunchBox would Launch them since it is really only dependent on what the emulator or core in RA's case can do.
I'm like 90 percent sure RA doesn't mess with zips with the exception of just a few cores like Mame and FBA. If you select a zip file in RA it'll give you the option to "Run as zip" or something and it never works. It also gives you a another option which I think extracts the contents and then runs, or something, and that works. But LaunchBox doesn't automate that. He just needs to unzip them games. AND reinstall them into launchbox unzipped.

DOS76 said Ok in the left pane when LB is open your SNES platform is named Super Nintendo (SNES) just like your associated platform is? Sorry to ask it sounds like you are saying it does but since I'm not sure I thought I would ask again. I'm relatively new to RA but SNES was the first system I setup using it and it worked so seamlessly that I'm surprised that there is an issue if you have everything named correctly though I'm out of ideas as to what is causing your issues. Mismatching platform names and core mistakes are usually the leading causes of RA troubles in LaunchBox.
Yep, I even copied the name over so that I would be sure that it was the same.
lordmonkus said 2 things come to mind immediately to try out and thats to extract your roms and they should be in .smc format (.sfc should work as well). All my roms are extracted. The other thing I can see that may be causing the issue is the fact you have your RetroArch installed to a folder on your desktop. Try having it in a folder like "C:\Games\Retroarch", the desktop may give UAC problems. I know it's not a Windows 10 issue because my laptop is using Windows 10 without issue.
I changed it: Error-4.png but it still gives me the same error.
fromlostdays said
fromlostdays OP says he has it working outside of LB so I would assume that if the core can run .zip files then LaunchBox would Launch them since it is really only dependent on what the emulator or core in RA's case can do.
I'm like 90 percent sure RA doesn't mess with zips with the exception of just a few cores like Mame and FBA. If you select a zip file in RA it'll give you the option to "Run as zip" or something and it never works. It also gives you a another option which I think extracts the contents and then runs, or something, and that works. But LaunchBox doesn't automate that. He just needs to unzip them games. AND reinstall them into launchbox unzipped.
I already tried to unzip and launch from launchbox but it just opens a completely white RetroArch window like this: Error-3.png and after a few minutes it just crashes.

This indeed is a strange one. If Retroarch on it's own is launching the game Launhbox should work as well. I zipped up a rom and tried launching it and it worked perfectly fine. I don't know if having multiple files within a zip file would affect it or not. I am running Retroarch version 1.3.0 (I don't know what version the OP is using) on Windows 10 along with Launchbox and everything works perfectly fine. @MartGux Have you tried another core for another system like the Genesis for example ? One thing I can think of to at least give it a try is to delete the core dll file in the config folder. Sometimes a bad setting can somehow get into the cfg file and cause RA to act stupid and deleting the file and starting a new core cfg file can fix it.

Multiple files in a zip can effect it easily. Also deleting the core file wont change the settings, if you do want to try new settings open up the RetroArch.zip you downloaded from their site, and move the RetroArch.cfg in to your RA root folder. Make sure to back up your current RA.cfg if you feel it necessary. This will reset RetroArch back to default. Deleting the cfg doesn't quite work the same, it changes a lot more settings then it should, and this is the easiest way. Just make sure to change the System path setting for other consoles that require BIOS files, if you haven't already. If you did though and change cfg files, you need to reset that stuff.

I'm assuming you are using version 1.3.0 of Retroarch ? and did you try deleting the cfg file associated to the core in the config folder ? Just out of curiosity what are your system specs ? CPU, ram and video card ? and just for my piece of mind, you did say it works perfectly fine when loading a rom directly within the Retroarch UI ? This one is just baffling me big time, everything should work just fine. I know computers can be finicky at times but damn this is weird.

lordmonkus said I'm assuming you are using version 1.3.0 of Retroarch ? and did you try deleting the cfg file associated to the core in the config folder ? Just out of curiosity what are your system specs ? CPU, ram and video card ? and just for my piece of mind, you did say it works perfectly fine when loading a rom directly within the Retroarch UI ? This one is just baffling me big time, everything should work just fine. I know computers can be finicky at times but damn this is weird.
Yes, I am using Retroarch 1.3.0 and I tried deleting the cfg file associated to the core in the config folder but still nothing. I don´t know all of my laptop specs but I know that it has an Intel Pentium Proccesor, 8GB of Ram, has a 64-bit operative system and I believe the graphics card is a AMD Radeon something. Also, just to make it clear, every single rom that I tried works within the Retroarch UI but not in launchbox.

Then there is something wrong with your setup in LaunchBox. A setting, a line of text, a letter, something is off. The only time I get no loading with RetroArch, because it does happen to me too, it is usually something is off with the associated platforms list (which is super important for RetroArch), the games are set to the wrong emulator that I changed for testing, there is a wrong or missing BIOS (but SNES doesn't require them), or I just typed something in wrong somewhere during the process. It happens to me too sometimes but it is usually a small mistake that I just missed.