LaunchBox Community Forums

MESS does not work on launchbox.

sergeb

Hello, Everything is great with launchbox and bigbox,but there's a probleme with MESS (now integrated into MAME) : we can't use it as an emulator with different platforms.It doesn't work at all (even with command lines). MAME works on launchbox,but not MESS. Why? Or maybe I am wrong? Thanks! Serge

There have been lots of threads about this sort of thing. My joke about MESS is that it is an absolute MESS. It requires very specific BIOS, just like MAME, very specifically placed and it is just outright a mess. The RetroArch core for MESS doesn't really work either. This is coming from someone who knows emulation and LaunchBox extremely well, and doesn't want to bother anymore. At one point I spent like 5 hours trying to figure it out for several days. I wasted like 20 hours on it. My suggestion is to avoid it as much as possible. RetroArch is a fantastic emulator with a few dozen emulators. There are a few cores we suggest not to use and use the standalone emulator, like PPSSPP and Desmume, but otherwise it is fantastic. If you are interested in RetroArch and want help with it, our YouTube channel as Tutorials that I created, and quite a few of them are based around RetroArch. Click the link in my signature.

The RetroArch core for MESS doesn't really work either.
It does work. And well, actually. However, I could never get it to work for myself. Someone uploaded a version of RetroArch to an FTP with the mess core working (this was a while ago) and I have that version of RA (I think its a random nightly from last year) MESS core works fine and I threw a lot of old obscure systems at it. Its not fully featured, like I don't think there is savestate support etc. but, for me at least, every system I would care to use a savestate already has a much better emulator than Mess. Overall I do agree with the sentiment though, MESS is a Mess.

• 2 weeks later...
Mess uses very specific parameters for different systems. I started documenting some of them and have some systems working flawlessly in my romlister-type program in development at the moment. I will soon add full support to Mess and it will be completely transparent to the user. Maybe a wrapper to make things simpler for users, providing all the key parameters in the backend, so it's going to work like a regular mame game would. I will start something on that soon, but I will only add systems that actually work, as there are many broken ones in there. GameBoyAdvance, SNES, Megadrive, Master System and other mainstream systems all work in my lister already. You just need to double click and play, so I could do that for LaunchBox as well. Please check my other two threads here to get some more info on things I'm working on: Romlister on Steroids Lightspeed Mame Importer Cheers, -Kris