LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox Game Ratings

bmonomad

We probably wont change the scale on our own unfortunately, though we're obviously not opposed to it if people really wanted it (which also reminds me that it's been requested to also get Metacritic scores in, but I think Metacritic is a disaster so I don't know). I believe ratings in BigBox has been requested on the BitBucket previously though.

Metacritic ratings would be nice. However, they only have ratings for 5th gen to current gen consoles to my knowledge. I think a much better option would be the Internet Game Database. They're trying to become the IMDB of video games. It's pretty sweet. Here's their site: https://www.igdb.com Also, they have a top 100 list sort of like the IMDB top 250 list: https://www.igdb.com/top-100/games They have a long way to go to become on par with IMDB for the video game industry. However, they have thousands of users and overall will outgrow Metacritic or any other rating website soon I think

Metacritic is kind of a joke. There is no vet process for what reviews they accept, so someone completely not credible can contribute, they take different scales of scores (5 point, 10 point, 20 point, 50 point, 100 point, modified letter grade (which can essentially be broken down in to a 10 or 20 point scale)), but then mashes it all together to create an average of just meaningless garbage. I understand what it was trying to accomplish but it got out of hand. If IGDB could become something like an IMDB that is respected, then hell yea it could become the new standard. I also hate how game dev bonuses and incentives are associated with Metacritic, but if IGDB became the standard that replaced Metacritic I assume it'd happen there too, so that might just be a complain about a part of the game dev industry instead and not really Metacritics fault.