LaunchBox Community Forums

Files are not listing in proper order

shadowfire36

I don't know why but for some reson i have 2 sets of games that will not properly in LB , but they seem to in my collections database online . I have added pics of the games , the 1st is ultima . for some reason 2 other games that should be after them are listed ahead of them in middle of the order . 2Capture.jpg the second is wizards and warriors , I have them listed but for some reason Ironsword WW2 is listed after the 3rd one 1.jpg

The issue in the 1st box shows ultima warriors of destiny after ultimate basketball and ultimate air combat and not grouped after 2nd ultima : quest of the avatar . well wouldn't two II go before 3 III's in hierarchy ? here is a back of my collections for my online DB . it show ultima in the correct order . but i cannot get to display correctly in my LB Capture1.PNG

I have an idea. Why don't we add Roman numerals as its own rule for sorting alphabetically. Similar, to how the articles "the", "a", and "and" have been ignored in their alphabetized categorization in the recent 6.0 release, LaunchBox should be able to recognize Roman Numerals and prioritize them like this: -I -II -III -IV -V -VI -VII -VIII -IX -X (etc.) Now, a problem you'll notice is that the number IX would appear before the Roman numeral V. That's just one example of an issue that could happen. Jason should add Roman numeral rules in the code for alphabetizing games to make sure they aren't misplaced when alphabetized. LaunchBox should also be able to treat Roman numerals as equivalent to numbers in terms of their alphabetization. The reason is that some game series switch between standard numbering and Roman numeral numbering. For example, Mortal Kombat's first four games in the series are as follows: "Mortal Kombat", "Mortal Kombat II", "Mortal Kombat 3", and "Mortal Kombat 4". When looking at these games on the arcade platform they'd appear as "Mortal Kombat", "Mortal Kombat 3", Mortal Kombat 4", and then "Mortal Kombat II". As you can see, this is really out of order.

@shadowfire36 I don't understand why the Ultima example is appearing that way. However, Wizards & Warriors II looks like it has a space between the "II" and the colon. When looking at the image, the distance between the roman numeral and the colon appear to be bigger on the second game in the series, not the third. With Ultima, my best guess is to try copying and pasting just "Ultima:" from the other two games, to the affected game's title. Maybe that'll work. This game might have another issue with the colon.

Hi @Beatlemaniac, I've actually done that in the past, but it ended up messing with the sort order too much so I had to get rid of it. I can't remember the specifics but I learned that it's extremely complicated to sort things properly for roman numerals without affecting anything else. Still, I might come back to that at some point. @shadowfire36, that sorting behavior is really weird. Just in case you happen to have something in the Sort Title field, for any of those games, that could explain it. You can override the default sort any way you wish by putting a value in the Sort Title field on your games. For example, if you have a sorting issue with roman numerals, you can just put Ultima 1, Ultima 2, Ultima 3, Ultima 4, etc. in the Sort Title field for those games and then they will show up in order. I'm interested to know if that's what's causing the problem, @shadowfire36. Other than that, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Keep in mind that web technologies are very different from desktop application techs, so it's not really surprising that we have different results between the two, but honestly I haven't seen the LaunchBox sorting engine behave that wonky before.

Beatlemaniac19 said @shadowfire36 I don't understand why the Ultima example is appearing that way. However, Wizards & Warriors II looks like it has a space between the "II" and the colon. When looking at the image, the distance between the roman numeral and the colon appear to be bigger on the second game in the series, not the third. With Ultima, my best guess is to try copying and pasting just "Ultima:" from the other two games, to the affected game's title. Maybe that'll work. This game might have another issue with the colon.
no there is a spaceing difference , but i just used regular numbers and it works without the roman numerals ....
Jason Carr said @shadowfire36, that sorting behavior is really weird. Just in case you happen to have something in the Sort Title field, for any of those games, that could explain it. You can override the default sort any way you wish by putting a value in the Sort Title field on your games. For example, if you have a sorting issue with roman numerals, you can just put Ultima 1, Ultima 2, Ultima 3, Ultima 4, etc. in the Sort Title field for those games and then they will show up in order.
if you want a copy of my xml , i can uploaded or email ?.i really didnt want to have add numbers but i guess i can. is it possible in the future you can just add a sort order lie like in Kodi ? kodi names can be sorted by just adding the to the xml but retain its name ...just a thought

SentaiBrad said Yea, and if you change the roman numerals to real numbers scraping will then break. So using the sort field is the best possible way so it scrapes and sorts properly if it's bothering you.
When you say sort title field are you speaking of the the item highlighted in the pic ?? because if it is then it is not working there . thats where i have been making the edits with the roman numerals and it doesnt like them Capture.2PNG.PNGCapture4.jpgCapture3.jpg

No, that changes the name of the game, and then there for breaks the scraping capability of the game. Under the Other tab is a "Sort Title" field just for this reason. Type the game name the exact same way, except replace the roman numerals with numbers and keep the actual Title what it was.

SentaiBrad said No, that changes the name of the game, and then there for breaks the scraping capability of the game. Under the Other tab is a "Sort Title" field just for this reason. Type the game name the exact same way, except replace the roman numerals with numbers and keep the actual Title what it was.
tried numbering them in the sort page with numbers and this is what i get Capture111.jpg now ultimate air combat and ultimate basketball come BEFORE ultima ,when they should come after

I was just made aware of this from Brad, actually. Apparently we do still have a sorting issue that is due to my previous attempts to properly handle roman numerals. I thought I had removed it all but apparently not. I'll take a look at this soon. You can get around it with the sort title as discussed, but of course that's not ideal.