LaunchBox Community Forums

Genesis Plus GX Sega CD bios questions

Wolf_

Make sure you games are named the same in LaunchBox and Associated Platforms. It sounds like an RA core is off, settings or the BIOS. Double check and make sure you have the core names correctly and you're not using the -c command to load a custom config afterwards.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bios are not optional for Sega CD in Retroarch (or any other Sega CD emu that I know of) and he is running into the problem when just loading the game through RA itself and not Launchbox. (At least that's how I am interpreting what he is saying so far. It's always possible I am mis-reading). It's one of 4 things at this point. Bad bios, bad cd image, incorrect setup in RA, or a corrupted RA core cfg file. I have seen the cfg files get corrupted and cause crashes before. I have had them happen to me when I was learning to setup RA and had it happen to a friend while helping him and deleting the cfg file and letting RA create a new one has fixed it.

HOOO I did it! Here was the problem: I set the retroarch system file as my dir folder and would then either exit retroarch or try to open a game. Turns out for the setting to stay you need to save config exit and then relaunch. Simple step. So every time I went to play a rom it would go look for the bios without the path to the bios being saved and crash on me. DAMN YOU SATAN

Hehe yeah when I first started using Retroarch with version 1.2 I had troubles with my bios and the folder being set right in the Directories settings. By the time I got to 1.3 and got used to setting everything up I was able to just dump my bios right in the /system folder and its been good since. Glad you got it sorted out. On a side note I was reminded of one extra small but cool reason to use the Genesis GX core for Sega CD games. Keep in mind this is a very situational reason but it is one none the less. The game Pier Solar is a game that utilizes both cartridge and CD, it runs the game from the cart but plays music off the CD and Retroarch is the only emulator that will replicate this functionality. Like I said very much a situational since as far as I know it is the only game to have this feature.

Grab the PS4 or PC versions to get all of the graphics and audio options. Plus Trophies and Achievements. :P That is a fun game I really really need to go back to. I would suggest buying that from their site or one of those services though, it is a modern developed game with full support still so it should still be purchase I think.

There is 3 styles of graphics choices they put it. A pure 16-bit, a hybrid of 16-bit and HD and then there is an HD+ but it's just the hybrid but with an extra smoothing shader over it. All 3 look like ass to me compared to the 16-bit + CRT-Royale shader. Personal preference thing.

• 1 month later...
SentaiBrad said Zelda historically doesn't sell great actually, it doesn't move the needle in that way. Zelda sold great on Wii (Twilight Princess), but on Gamecube it was low. Granted 1m isn't low, but for a series like this where everyone assumes it sells consoles... that's low. 2014 was the year of kick ass games on the Wii U, Smash always being called a System seller, and none of those games helped sell more Wii U's sadly. I love my Wii U, the games on it are great, but it was a shit storm coming from the Blue Ocean strategy that killed the Wii U, and the fact that it was outdated a year later. Nintendo's unwillingness to go towards Internet based stuff also has not helped. Wii U eShop sales of games only accounts for 8% of their sales, and it's not because people don't want to, it's because it sucks. I have an external drive plugged in to my 32GB Wii U because 32GB is a joke. Xenoblade Chronicles X, assuming the Wii U had nothing else on it, would fill the entire system. Nintendo lost 3rd party at Gamecube, only had some 3rd party support in Wii because of the gigantic install base but NO ONE talks about the Wii ports of anything and we obviously ignore all the shovel ware, so they didn't retain them for the Wii U.
I would say... Zelda clearly sells as well as I feel it should. It is the number 1 game at E3 and responsible for slightly under half of the overall interest in Nintendo (Not really a good thing considering Nintendo is in last place, but hey, at least Zelda gets the love) (Posted as a joke not an insult, no ban plz)

Zelda sells well when compared within it's own franchise, but no Zelda doesn't sell well as a whole. Interest and hype does not amount to sales. It's not concrete one way or the other but the best reference I found is this: http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/zelda-sales-numbers-in-context. When you compare that to other franchises or even Mario, these numbers are good but they're not as hyped up as everyone assumes they are. In our circle, Zelda is king. It is my favorite series of all time and I want the new Legend of Zelda to sell millions and millions. The fairest comparison is it broken down per console, as it's not exactly fair to lump them all in together. They're still valid sales, but valid on the system they were released on. It's also no denying the effect and impact it has on us all, and as a franchise has sold really well. People compare this to the best of the best of the best and there are single games that out pace multiple of these titles combined. Zelda is an important series, it's my most favorite series but our wants are stronger than the reality. For the comparison to Mario, http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Mario. Even Mario has made a down turn. I think the Zelda graph fluctuates more than the Mario one. One thing for me true regardless though, I want Nintendo to win and I really hope the new Zelda was a wake up call for them. This looks like literally nothing else they've ever ever made, but it still feels to have the Zelda and Nintendo charm. I hope this sells the NX, because nothing made the Wii U or GameCube sell and the Wii was an anomaly. Even with the insane sales of the Wii, Zelda series didn't necessarily get a huge boon in sales. Twilight Princess vs New Super Mario Bros. is a good example. Mario got a gigantic spike, and Zelda did a bit too, just not as severe. It's funny too because even though the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess is missing 16:9, people still called it the better of the two. Thankfully the HD remake trumps both. :P

SentaiBrad said Zelda sells well when compared within it's own franchise, but no Zelda doesn't sell well as a whole. Interest and hype does not amount to sales. It's not concrete one way or the other but the best reference I found is this: http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/zelda-sales-numbers-in-context. When you compare that to other franchises or even Mario, these numbers are good but they're not as hyped up as everyone assumes they are. In our circle, Zelda is king. It is my favorite series of all time and I want the new Legend of Zelda to sell millions and millions. The fairest comparison is it broken down per console, as it's not exactly fair to lump them all in together. They're still valid sales, but valid on the system they were released on. It's also no denying the effect and impact it has on us all, and as a franchise has sold really well. People compare this to the best of the best of the best and there are single games that out pace multiple of these titles combined. Zelda is an important series, it's my most favorite series but our wants are stronger than the reality. For the comparison to Mario, http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Mario. Even Mario has made a down turn. I think the Zelda graph fluctuates more than the Mario one. One thing for me true regardless though, I want Nintendo to win and I really hope the new Zelda was a wake up call for them. This looks like literally nothing else they've ever ever made, but it still feels to have the Zelda and Nintendo charm. I hope this sells the NX, because nothing made the Wii U or GameCube sell and the Wii was an anomaly. Even with the insane sales of the Wii, Zelda series didn't necessarily get a huge boon in sales. Twilight Princess vs New Super Mario Bros. is a good example. Mario got a gigantic spike, and Zelda did a bit too, just not as severe. It's funny too because even though the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess is missing 16:9, people still called it the better of the two. Thankfully the HD remake trumps both. :P
I really enjoyed the wii version because while motion controls for some games were strange punching with the nunchuck to shieldbash and swinging the wiimote at different angles to slash/stab with the sword was an amazing experience imo.

• 10 months later...
On 6/19/2016 at 11:36 PM, SentaiBrad said:

Zelda sells well when compared within it's own franchise, but no Zelda doesn't sell well as a whole. Interest and hype does not amount to sales. It's not concrete one way or the other but the best reference I found is this: http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/zelda-sales-numbers-in-context. When you compare that to other franchises or even Mario, these numbers are good but they're not as hyped up as everyone assumes they are. In our circle, Zelda is king. It is my favorite series of all time and I want the new Legend of Zelda to sell millions and millions. The fairest comparison is it broken down per console, as it's not exactly fair to lump them all in together. They're still valid sales, but valid on the system they were released on. It's also no denying the effect and impact it has on us all, and as a franchise has sold really well. People compare this to the best of the best of the best and there are single games that out pace multiple of these titles combined. Zelda is an important series, it's my most favorite series but our wants are stronger than the reality. For the comparison to Mario, http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Mario. Even Mario has made a down turn. I think the Zelda graph fluctuates more than the Mario one. One thing for me true regardless though, I want Nintendo to win and I really hope the new Zelda was a wake up call for them. This looks like literally nothing else they've ever ever made, but it still feels to have the Zelda and Nintendo charm. I hope this sells the NX, because nothing made the Wii U or GameCube sell and the Wii was an anomaly. Even with the insane sales of the Wii, Zelda series didn't necessarily get a huge boon in sales. Twilight Princess vs New Super Mario Bros. is a good example. Mario got a gigantic spike, and Zelda did a bit too, just not as severe. It's funny too because even though the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess is missing 16:9, people still called it the better of the two. Thankfully the HD remake trumps both. :P

Just returning to this topic now that Breath of the Wild is out and it has sold more copies than switches exist and that statistically enough people bought a switch with a copy of BotW that it rounds to every switch sold with 1 copy of BotW to tell you that I was right. Zelda sells systems.
7351188.gif

Edited by Wolf_

Yea, hindsight is 20/20. :P Actually, more copies of Zelda sold than there are Switch's out in the wild! I would be willing to guess it's selling systems now though because of how different it is. The Switch and Zelda both broke Nintendo's own sales records. They might have even broken some industry records for console and game sales.

Just now, SentaiBrad said:

Yea, hindsight is 20/20. :P Actually, more copies of Zelda sold than there are Switch's out in the wild! I would be willing to guess it's selling systems now though because of how different it is. The Switch and Zelda both broke Nintendo's own sales records. They might have even broken some industry records for console and game sales.

Yup, but I said it in advance so it is futuresight not hindsight. Went full Nostradamus on you. To be fair I said it would be a system seller but I didn't predict it being "the" system seller. I wonder if this is how people felt about Ocarina of Time when it released? "Wow this is a fantastic, breathtaking, touching game, but man the console it runs on is pretty underpowered."

I was worried with it not even doing native 1080p despite coming out years after the Ps4 and Xbox1.
Just like I'm sure people were worried about the N64 still using cartridges when everyone else had moved on to cds.

Funny how the Switch is the first console back to cartridges now that cds are outdated. Anyways just wanted to bask in the glow of Zelda. I still have 70 more pictures to take and like 750 Korok seeds to find but I can say this is easily the most fun and most time I've sunk into any game that isn't a mmorpg.

No, "powerful consoles" were not a thing back then. Sure, when the SNES came out people were like "oh this is much better than the NES, I want to play everything here now". That sort of thing was always there, hasn't gone away, but "powerful hardware" and PC culture was not in the console culture at the time.

I don't care about the graphics per se, as long as it's an amazing game. Lo and behold, it looks great and it's still a fantastically polished Nintendo game.

Just now, SentaiBrad said:

No, "powerful consoles" were not a thing back then. Sure, when the SNES came out people were like "oh this is much better than the NES, I want to play everything here now". That sort of thing was always there, hasn't gone away, but "powerful hardware" and PC culture was not in the console culture at the time.

I don't care about the graphics per se, as long as it's an amazing game. Lo and behold, it looks great and it's still a fantastically polished Nintendo game.

Well the fact that it still used cartridges actually did matter to a lot of people because they cost more to produce than cds so game developers didn't want to produce for the system as they would get smaller markups. I'm unsure if that spilled over to the consumer end as well or not and resulted in inflated game prices because I wasn't buying my own games yet.

Oh people did care about power back then. It started with Sega pushing the 16-bit Genesis, then it went on from there and at that time the N64 was actually the most powerful system at 64-bit (no the Jaguar wasn't a real 64-bit system.

But bits and power were a thing back then.