LaunchBox Community Forums

atari 5200

gizmo

hi i am trying to get these games working i have looked here https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/command-line-parameters-arguments and http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Atari_5200_emulators when i try mess i get a error up all though the roms are in the rom folder of mess , i have tried Altirra and Atari800 and kat500 no luck any advice would be great thanks 20160613_162024.jpg

Here is a copy / paste from another thread where I helped someone getting Kat5200 up and running. First when you launch Kat5200 you should have an ugly but functional UI. Go to "Machine" then click "Bios Files" and browse for the 5200.bin. Second click "Machine" again and under "System" make sure "Atari 5200" is checked. Under "Options" setup your controls and video options to your liking. There are some NTSC filters there if you want that look but I did not like them so I left them off. In Launchbox itself I did not have to do anything extra other than the normal stuff like setting the Kat5200.exe for the Atari 5200 platform and import games. To exit your games you will have to use your "close emulator" key (key combo) 2 times. The first time will just bring up Kat5200s UI. Probably not as using MESS or Altirra but this is the only way I managed to get the 5200 emulated and loading through Launchbox.

lordmonkus said Here is a copy / paste from another thread where I helped someone getting Kat5200 up and running. First when you launch Kat5200 you should have an ugly but functional UI. Go to "Machine" then click "Bios Files" and browse for the 5200.bin. Second click "Machine" again and under "System" make sure "Atari 5200" is checked. Under "Options" setup your controls and video options to your liking. There are some NTSC filters there if you want that look but I did not like them so I left them off. In Launchbox itself I did not have to do anything extra other than the normal stuff like setting the Kat5200.exe for the Atari 5200 platform and import games. To exit your games you will have to use your "close emulator" key (key combo) 2 times. The first time will just bring up Kat5200s UI. Probably not as using MESS or Altirra but this is the only way I managed to get the 5200 emulated and loading through Launchbox.
many thanks for your help and advice i managed to get the games working following your instructions , is there a way to enlarge the screen i have go to view and clicked full screen but still comes up as a small screen thanks again

No problem, glad it helped out. I don't know how good or bad of a 5200 emulator Kat5200 is since I never bothered to try and get it running with MESS at all. Altirra is a very good emulator and has better looking effects than the few Kat5200 has but getting it run in Launchbox was beyond my patience level for a system I really don't care about.

Brads MESS tutorial is super easy to get you up and running only things is you don't have to do your video settings like his I have mine fullscreen with the aspect enforce off you just have to turn off the info setting like he does and set the right directories.