LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch controller config

martinconroy

OK - this is probably a stupid question but I'm stumped (and I HAVE looked for answers Smile). Currently I use an XBox 360 controller for emulation, but I find that it also takes over navigation in Retroarch. This means that (for example), when I try to bind the B Button to a control it simply takes me "Back" in the Retroarch navigation instead. Is there a way to stop the controller working as a navigation device in Retroarch so I can bind effectively? Thanks all!

Not exactly sure what you mean here. Are you trying to rebind controls within Retroarch and having troubles ? If so then this shouldn't be a problem because the rebinding with RA is done by using the d-pad til the desired button is listed as the control you want. It isn't a case of press the button you want to be the button. Retroarchs controller bindings are a little on the funky side to understanding it but once you wrap your brain around how it works it isn't so terrible. I hope what I am saying makes sense and I hope I am understanding what you are asking correctly.

Sorry - I should have known it wouldn't be clear. So, I'm on the "Settings" tab, and select "Input". I scroll down until I'm on "Input User 1 Binds" and click X to select. I then scroll down to the place where you specify the B button as per below. [Image Can Not Be Found] The D-pad on the controller navigates with the up/down pads, but left and right do nothing. I have to click X to select then it awaits either a keypress or joystick press. This is where I should be able to click the "B" button on my controller to select that button, but instead it simply replicates the back navigation in Retroarch and exits the selection.

Thanks Brad. When you say setting the Retroarch binds, are you referring to the "User binds" (e.g. User 1 Bind Default All), or is there a place I can update the Retroarch controls? If the former, then this is something I have tried, but it doesn't fix the problem. Think the device is correct and is typically as per below: User 1 Device Type: Retropad (or with analog) User 1 Analog To Digital Type: Left analog (if appropriate) User 1 Device Index: XInput Controller (User 1) (#1) If this looks all ok, then it seems something is screwed and I should reset to defaults and start again to see if that fixes it?

I've run into issues mapping controllers in RA before. I make sure I map the x+z keyboard buttons to a+b on my controller 1st and then immediately set the d-pad if I try to do it in the order presented by the program it leads to buttons not doing the right thing and then you lose the ability to use the buttons to set new buttons (or I did in my case).

Yea that's odd Derek, I never have to remap any controls ever with the exception of my Generic N64 controller. This is how it should look: https://i.imgur.com/60FnjIG.png It's worth noting I am using a PS4 controller through InputMapper, but it just tells the pc it's a "360 controller", and this should automatically work with a 360, Xbox One, PS3 and PS4 controller. Just make sure the device index has the right driver selected then select "User 1 Bind Default All" to set them back to defaults if you think they're messed up.