LaunchBox Community Forums

3do ROMs in .img format

rmilyard

So I have a noob question. Almost all my 3do roms are .img files. I watched video and seems RetroArch will only load .iso files. Do I need to somehow convert all my .img to .iso? And if so there a easy way of doing this? Or should I use 4do emulator? Trying to keep simple for controller setup. Also if roms at 7z do they need to be extracted?

Extraction depends on the Emulator, but generally yes, and the extraction time can take a while so we suggest to leave them unarchived for discs. So I would say that iso or img are not the way to and rather it's cue sheets you need. That is pretty much most disc based consoles.

SentaiBrad said Extraction depends on the Emulator, but generally yes, and the extraction time can take a while so we suggest to leave them unarchived for discs. So I would say that iso or img are not the way to and rather it's cue sheets you need. That is pretty much most disc based consoles.
When using RetroArch with 4do core and telling it to extract files all I get is the Insert CD screen. If use 4do emu seems to work fine.

SentaiBrad said The info file for 4DO in RA: "supported_extensions = "iso|cue"". Supposedly you can add another extension to that (.bin in this case) and it might work, but like I said it's generally always cue sheets that are required.
Where would I edit that to try?

SentaiBrad said In the info folder inside of the RetroArch folder. Edit it with Notepad++. I have no clue if it's going to work, someone mentioned this to me, the best solution would be to load the cue sheets.
So RetroArch 1.3.4\info\4do_libretro.info I tried it and same issue. Interesting it will not load games via .cue either if .img. But in 4do seems fine.

Then you don't have the BIOS in the right location or named properly. If you have the 3DO bios for 4DO standalone, rename them to panafz10.bin and put it in your system folder. Also, in the tutorials for the channel, I cover everything needed to get the system up and running for that episode and usually a bit extra.

SentaiBrad said Then you don't have the BIOS in the right location or named properly. If you have the 3DO bios for 4DO standalone, rename them to panafz10.bin and put it in your system folder. Also, in the tutorials for the channel, I cover everything needed to get the system up and running for that episode and usually a bit extra.
I have it there. Works fine with .iso files.

Yea, I'm using ISO too. All of mine do have CUE sheets too. We must have gotten the same set. It is true though that pretty much most discs based systems require cue sheets, it's just been a while since I did 3DO apparently. So then yea, that reminds me @rmilyard, either the discs are bad rips or your BIOS is the wrong one / the wrong name / the wrong location.

SentaiBrad said Yea, I'm using ISO too. All of mine do have CUE sheets too. We must have gotten the same set. It is true though that pretty much most discs based systems require cue sheets, it's just been a while since I did 3DO apparently. So then yea, that reminds me @rmilyard, either the discs are bad rips or your BIOS is the wrong one / the wrong name / the wrong location.
Well most of my ROMs are .img so I guess for now I'll use 4do to run them since works. I posted on RetroArch about .img but nothing yet.

rmilyard said Well most of my ROMs are .img so I guess for now I'll use 4do to run them since works. I posted on RetroArch about .img but nothing yet.
Honestly, for 3DO I think standalone 4DO is still the better option, as opposed to the Retroarch port, and this is coming from someone who's a big Retroarch fan. I use RA for almost everything, but there are a handful of emulators whose standalone versions just work better and more consistently than the RA port and I think 4DO is one of them. I had a lot of issues getting several games to run well (or at all) on RA 4DO that were perfect in standalone, so I never went back. It's possible they've made improvements, but I kindof doubt it - there's probably not a huge demand for it, relatively speaking. I'm not a fan of RA PPSSPP either, for the record.