LaunchBox Community Forums

RocketLauncher?

falcon

I am new to the whole front-end apps. Been playing around with Hyperspin for a while and just was taking so long to get any where. From a video that Simply Austin talked and showed LaunchBox I was hooked. I have done more in LB then I ever could in HS. Also the growth and support that LB is getting from the developers and the community is great and is going to make LB I think the best FE. But to my question is RocketLauncher worth running and what is the benefits of having it with LB? Thanks Falcon

This is such a loaded question and really you will get users that say yes and those who say why bother. Personally when I setup LB I never even heard of RocketLauncher and I still had my emulators running in a FE so I didn't bother. I did poke around with it and got a system or two up and running but I was just not intuitive enough to keep me interested so I stopped but it does have some really great features you just have to weigh those against the time it will take to set it up.

My main reasons to use RocketLauncher: - Bezels - Global pause menu - Supports compressed roms - custom fade-in and fade-out animations - Supports multiple front-ends Rocketlauncher is definitely not mandatory with LaunchBox (unlike Hyperspin), but it is very nice to have.

I don't think adding a second layer, with as much active development as we have, is a good idea. My thing is, if something breaks, where did it break? The more variables you add in, the worse it can get to troubleshoot. Past that, if you like the features that RL offers and you can get it set up in a decent amount of time then it should work great, it's just a matter of how much time do you want to spend and will you even want those features?

@imdavid555 I also heard that as well. In Jason's last developer session video, or the one before, he mentioned that he'd have to delay the RocketLauncher plugin development due to other development goals. I've never used RocketLauncher, but know the advantages of it. With the RocketLauncher plugin active, IMO, it would be the development that puts Launchbox above all other front ends, Hyperspin included. This development would also probably get many Hyperspin users to make the switch to Launchbox. I hope that this plugin doesn't get neglected.

Beetlemaniac19 Really? I'll try to be on tonight's Dev session and bug him about it in the comments lol You can still use Rocketlauncher with LaunchBox. http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/showthread.php?2632-Integrating-RocketLauncher-into-LaunchBox&p=20969#post20969 Its just not practical, but at least everything has been working for me so far.

Thanks @imdavid555 ;) I won't be able to join that dev session. I'm on the east coast so it starts at midnight for me! That's the funny thing about RocketLauncher, I know I can set it up now if I did my due diligence. However, once that plugin is enabled, it'll have erased my work already and have much better coordination and functionality :p. Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place there. So I'd rather wait it out lol