LaunchBox Community Forums

[Request] Controller Button Overlay

Jason Carr

Yesterday i had a friend of mine using my BigBox. He had no idea how to correctly navigate through the menu. I realized how uncomfortable BigBox is, if you are not familiar with it like we all here are. And to be honest, i wasn't sure with all the controls either. So i came back to the idea to implement an Button Overlay for the controls in BigBox. I guess most people use an Xbox Controller on PC. So why don't you make the default settings perfect for that controller. A wise man once said "My goal with LaunchBox is: Easy! Easy! Easy!" :D Here is an example: Button-Overlay-example.jpg If you're crazy enough you add an option to replace the Icons, so people can use their own controller Icons. And maybe make the controls menu more visual. Not exactly like this but you get the idea: X360CE_menu_settings.jpg Tell me your opinions about it and maybe we get Jason to implement something like that.

Thanks Opak. This makes sense but it is complicated by the fact that we support so many different controller options. Using a 360 controller is common, but so is using an arcade board. Generally, once you learn to use up, down, left, and right, and whatever keys/buttons you have for select and back, then most things are easily accessible. I agree though that it can be confusing for some people. It's hard to ride the line between having a clean interface while also making the controls obvious. But we can always add it and make it optional. The hard part is representing things well for all types of controls.

Yea you are right, but what i meant is, to make BB for casual users as easy as possible. They just need to plugin their Xbox Controller and everything is already set up perfectly and intuitive and they get advanced controls (flip cover, search-function etc.) shown on screen. People that use an arcade board already have the options to set it up, so you don't take anything away from them. I'm no programer, but couldn't you just give every button function a fixed place on the screen with an (replacable) icon next to it. And add an option to toggle the overlay, maybe? In my stupid mind it sounds not that complicated Laugh

Something like that would probably work, yes. At any one time there are always a *lot* of different button options you can press, so getting the interface right will take some experimentation and design. But yeah, I think we have enough to get started with it at least.

I have/am in the progress of creating artwork for my keybindings since my flatmates have no idea how the controller is setup. As you can see in the video bellow i have added a "KEYBINDGS" platform that i will eventually have all my layouts for each system. Then you just add your jpeg as if you were adding a rom then once its added disable it opening up with an emulator and just have the jpeg open with your default picture viewing software. Also to note i have added into my overlay the very basic controller layout, ie how to quite the game, rewind and advandce options. https://youtu.be/GIMWS_D6guQ