LaunchBox Community Forums

About to Start My Launchbox Setup after years of Hyperspin

Bonoscot

Hey guys/gals Im about to start my new Launchbox setup,after for years being with Hyperspin. As good as HS is, im looking for a change. A few Questions though.. 1.Can you input your own collection? ie like add a Mortal Kombat/Street fighter collections wheel? 2.Do you still (or need) to use Rocketlauncher? 3.I have 8TB of games, i assume there is no limit to Launchbox? 4.Does Launchbox use the art of Hyperspin? can you input your own art? 5.Does Launchbox have an Attract Mode,for when my system is running in my cabinet? thanks

What do you mean input your own collection? You mean Clear Logo Art (Wheel Art)? Yes you can, for BigBox which is apart of the Premium version of LaunchBox. This is geared towards Arcade Cabs and HTPC set ups being controlled by controllers or arcade controls. No, you don't need RocketLauncher at all. Some users who came over from RL / HS still utilize RL, but it is not at all required. LaunchBox is it's own entity. Nope, there is zero limit on the amount of games you can import. I currently have 25k entries in LaunchBox. LaunchBox pulls metadata and media from the LaunchBox Games Database and EmuMovies. Video from EM requires EM Premium and LB Premium as well. You can supply your own media if you'd like. There are Video, Image, Music and Manual folders inside the LaunchBox folder. Inside here will be the names of the consoles when you start importing. Make sure the appropriate images go in the appropriate sub-folders (inside the system folders), refresh your LaunchBox image cache and it should attach just fine. The media needs to be named properly, which is either the name of the game inside of LaunchBox or the name of the file you are importing. LaunchBox does not have an attract mode. Attract mode has been requested for a long time now, and is being looked at for BigBox by Jason, the LaunchBox dev. Welcome, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask. I would also suggest that you watch the tutorials on our YouTube channel for more help with LaunchBox. You can get there by clicking the link in my signature or the tutorials button at the top of the forums!

SentaiBrad said LaunchBox does not have an attract mode. Attract mode has been requested for a long time now, and is being looked at for BigBox by Jason, the LaunchBox dev.
What is an attract mode? when I search for it in google it just shows me a frontend called Attract Mode but nothing else

Bedwyr said Ah, so for Hyperspin it's the "random spinny" part. Never knew there was technical jargon for that.
More literal description and less jargon I think. Unless you can create jargon, in which case I guess It kind of did become that. If you look at a lot of SNES / Genesis / PS1 / N64 games, you'll notice they have Demo modes before the game starts, especially games based on Arcade versions. This is also essentially the same thing. It's just the game demoing it's self so that someone comes and plays it. It has feelings too you know. :P

Huh, yea I totally never thought of it like that. I mean attract mode was a phrase I had learned later, I always heard it called Demo Mode, so maybe I just thought they were more literal definitions? Well neither of us are wrong, we just saw something slightly different. xD

Agreed, yep. That's the funny thing about jargon. It can be completely obvious to a person brought up with it early(er). I sometimes catch myself talking about things I think are obvious like "approach" or "instrument" while withholding what I thought was obvious jargon like "ILS" or "V-speeds". All are aviation terms but occasionally I'll be talking to people who ask me what "instrument approach" means and I have to back up and reframe what I'm saying for their experience. That level of self-awareness is a skill that teachers and instructors definitely need to have and is sometimes difficult to practice (occasionally see smoke coming out my ears as the gears start chunking into reverse).