LaunchBox Community Forums

ResidualVM

Purduecoz

I've been getting my classic games added to Launchbox and was wondering if there was any chance you might be able to add support for ScummVM's sister project, ResidualVM. I believe I could probably fumble through things by adding it as an additional program, but it would be cool if support were there like it is for ScummVM. The programs are pretty close to identical, though ScummVM gets quite a bit more development and more frequent releases... but Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island are both playable inside of ResidualVM! Thanks, Chris

Is Residual then more for Windows 95 era Point and clicks? Because Grim Fandango should run normally on Windows, and has the remastered edition out. Monkey Island is also playable in DOSBox (I also thought in ScummVM too because I've ran it in there before), and has also been released it's self. So maybe I should look up the software, but what does it do that can't already be done?

• 2 weeks later...
SentaiBrad said Ah! It's kind of an exe replacement and meant for the 3D LucasArt's games! I get it now.
Basically exactly like ScummVM, except it's designed for the LucasArts games that use GrimE as their engine - not SCUMM. I thought that I could work around it not being supported directly by setting it up as an emulator, but that's not working as it asks me to add a ROM file. There is no ROM file, just like ScummVM. It's a directory that holds all of the data files for the game. Is there any way to get this working without ResidualVM being directly supported?

Probably not to be honest. We recognize that ScummVM is in dire need of a reworking though, so we might be able to work something like this in. We know DOS even needs the ability to be able to swap between versions and forks, we just didn't know one existed for ScummVM either.

SentaiBrad said Probably not to be honest. We recognize that ScummVM is in dire need of a reworking though, so we might be able to work something like this in. We know DOS even needs the ability to be able to swap between versions and forks, we just didn't know one existed for ScummVM either.
No worries, I'd love for this to be on your roadmap though. Basically, it seems like most everything necessary to make it work is already part of the ScummVM and ResidualVM command lines... we just need some flexibility around command line options and what is and isn't passed to DOSBox, ScummVM, and ResidualVM (along with ability to drop in your own replacement versions of these apps)... almost similar to how the ROM/Emulator functionality works. You guys know best how to implement this stuff, and I'm comfortable you understand my plight.. I'll leave you guys to it! Thanks for a great app. Happy to have my lifetime license and looking forward to continued updates. - Chris

This is closely related to a request i submitted to the tracker. I want to run dosbox through retroarch due to the superior shader support in ra, but for that to work launch box needs options for alternate emulators for dos games. I think the suggestion of making the implementation closer to the other platforms is a good idea. The ability to make a clone or variant of a platform would be nice too since you might want to launch certain games with certain emulators (depending on support and features)

Dipso said launch box needs options for alternate emulators for dos games.
I've never messed with the RA version of Dosbox, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. Why would it be any different from any other game that you're piping into RA through LB? Wouldn't you just unselect "Use Dosbox" in the game entry in LB, and then select Retroarch as your emulator? As long as you have the Dosbox core added to your Retroarch -> associated platforms (MS-DOS) it should be fine unless I'm missing something. I mean this is how you setup anything for Launchbox -> Retroarch (including cores that aren't in the default list that's populated by Launchbox).