LaunchBox Community Forums

Multiple Disk Mounts and Split Command Switches

Lordmonkus

Having the ability to mount multiple disks simultaneously would be a great feature to have for emulating such systems as the X68000. Mess supports this feature through its command line, for example I made a batch file with the following in it and the Castlevania game loads perfectly.

mess64.exe x68000 -flop1 "H:\Emulation\Roms\X68000\Akumajou Dracula (1993)(Konami)(Disk 1 of 2).dim" -flop2 "H:\Emulation\Roms\X68000\Akumajou Dracula (1993)(Konami)(Disk 2 of 2).dim"

As you can see the -flop1 and -flop2 mounts each disk image.

Split command line switches would make Daphne setup extremely simple for people. Right now it seems that Launchbox just automatically dumps the rom file at the end of the command line switches and this does not work for Daphne. Here is a batch file that loads Dragon's Lair on my system.

daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile H:\Emulation\Roms\Daphne\vldp\lair\lair.txt -blend -ignore_aspect_ratio -blank_searches -precache -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir H:\Emulation\Roms\Daphne -fastboot -bank 0 11011001 -bank 1 00100111 -nocrc -noissues -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 1600 -y 1200

If we could set daphne.exe as the emulator and maybe customize the way the command switches work for each game this would make it much easier. We would need to import the text file as the rom which in this case would be "lair.txt" and the path to rom needs to be in the middle of all the switches. We would also need the name of the text file parsed minus the .txt extension and be put as the very first thing after daphne.exe

This splittling command line would be a very specific feature for daphne I believe. I don't know of any other emulator that does this but the multi disk mounting is uses in other computer emulators. I am not 100% certain but I think the Atari ST and maybe even the Amiga.

If this is something you would like to see please vote for this on the Bitbucket feature request.  https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1416/multiple-disk-mounts-and-split-command

I know this isn't a major or critical issue but I think they would be huge quality of life enhancements to Launchbox. Many people use Daphne and it is a real pain to get it working in Launchbox and the X68000 system while it isn't one of the more popular emulated systems but it has many amazing arcade ports and it is severely lacking in the easy to use emulators. With this Mess setup would be a a relative breeze and it actually emulates the system quite well, it's actually better than the dedicated X68000 emulators out there.

Amiga (WinUAE) uses -0 -1 -2 -3 to insert disks into different floppy drives (although not all games supported that many external floppy drives or any at all sometimes)

FM Towns (Unz) games for this system can be a mix of both floppy and cd drive although I can't remember the command line switches at the moment.

There's definitely others.

I would actually say it is a major issue and this has definitely got my vote.