LaunchBox Community Forums

21:9 Aspect Ratio setup

Bonoscot

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's far from ideal but I was using  this https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQr5qHhKnZAhUBJcAKHU36BxkQFggpMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fres-o-matic.en.uptodown.com%2Fwindows&usg=AOvVaw0zm9gFJ085_culLsoheqwS

It allows you to create a shortcut that changes the resolution of that specific .exe. I used it for bigbox setting the resolution at 1920x1080 on my 2560x1080 monitor. Sure it is pillarboxed, but at least there's no stretching or misplaced text, videos, images etc.

Also, If you can live with stretching and don't want the pillarboxing, then if I remember rightly you can set the picture mode/ratio on your monitor to wide. This will stretch bigbox across your whole screen, but all elements of your theme will be displayed in the correct location as if on a 16:9 monitor.

Like I said, not ideal but It's a workaround until a 21:9 theme is made.

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2018 at 4:57 AM, damobeanrod said:

Old reply... But if you go to...
LaunchboxDIR\Themes\_ThemeYouWantToModify\ThemeSettings.xml

Open in a text editor...

Change the value below from false to true

<Force16X9AspectRatio>false</Force16X9AspectRatio>

Yes pillarbox but the best solution IMHO

I'm trying this with the default BigBox theme and it seems to ignore the option. The theme still takes up the entire ultrawide screen. And when I reopen the xml file after testing, the option has switched back to false. Am I missing something?

edit: Looks like the default theme ignores it but it works with CriticalZoneV2. Guess I'll look for some more themes and hope it works!

Edited by epmode

18 minutes ago, epmode said:

I'm trying this with the default BigBox theme and it seems to ignore the option. The theme still takes up the entire ultrawide screen. And when I reopen the xml file after testing, the option has switched back to false. Am I missing something?

edit: Looks like the default theme ignores it but it works with CriticalZoneV2. Guess I'll look for some more themes and hope it works!

The default theme is a specific case where you can't modify the files in the default theme (this is so that there is always an unmodified theme available). If you want to modify the default theme like this, you can just make a copy of the LaunchBox\Themes\Default folder and name it something differently, then modify the files.

8 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

The default theme is a specific case where you can't modify the files in the default theme (this is so that there is always an unmodified theme available). If you want to modify the default theme like this, you can just make a copy of the LaunchBox\Themes\Default folder and name it something differently, then modify the files.

That explains it. Thanks very much!

• Like 1