LaunchBox Community Forums

old computer games emulation required/possible?

mianina

I have a few older PC games that I have started having problems playing since the forced upgrade to window's 10 (Diablo 1 and the expansion Hellfire in particular) is there some way to use Launchbox to play these games as if I was on a computer running XP? is there an emulator that I should have but just haven't found?

You could download VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/

You'd have to find a copy of Windows XP if you don't have one already but it's a very good program for playing older Windows games on modern Windows (although it's not great for 3D games).

I don't really know how you could get Launchbox to load the games up individually though, you'd probably have to settle for it just loading VirtualBox (either that or make a separate Windows installation for every game you wanted to play).

1 hour ago, Belgarath said:

You could download VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/

You'd have to find a copy of Windows XP if you don't have one already but it's a very good program for playing older Windows games on modern Windows (although it's not great for 3D games).

I don't really know how you could get Launchbox to load the games up individually though, you'd probably have to settle for it just loading VirtualBox (either that or make a separate Windows installation for every game you wanted to play).

thank you for your help. in the interest of not having to open a new thread is there an option for 3D games that works? and just out of curiosity is virtualbox just for games or does it also run programs such as word or photoshop?

You will be running a Windows XP virtual machine basically so it will run programs like XP did. The issue with the 3d games is I don't think they can virtualize the hardware acceleration and things of that nature so it is a less than perfect experience but one of your few options

2 hours ago, DOS76 said:

You will be running a Windows XP virtual machine basically so it will run programs like XP did. The issue with the 3d games is I don't think they can virtualize the hardware acceleration and things of that nature so it is a less than perfect experience but one of your few options

thank you for clarifying things for me