LaunchBox Community Forums

Good beginner retro console games for a kid

subatomic09

Need some recommendations...

My 5-year-old nephew is visiting this weekend, and I thought it would be fun to throw Big Box up on the TV and play some retro console games with him. He has no familiarity, because his parents are not into gaming at all.

Of course, if you're born in the early 80s like me, you were playing (ahem, dying a lot at) Super Mario Bros. when you were 5. But since we only have a couple days, I'm trying to think of some "easier" console gems. Something that's not so punishing with the sudden deaths, something we can pick up and play and have fun with it. 

Thanks!

Forgot to add: 

I think Sonic 1 on Genesis as a pretty good option, maybe a multiplayer beat-em up that he can mash the buttons on, like an SNES TMNT game? I'll definitely turn Super Mario 3 on and let him take a stab at it - maybe he'll be amazing. Kirby Super Star is another one I think he might be able to play.

Any other recommendations?

Edited by subatomic09

Snes:
Donkey Kong Country
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Aladdin (or any Disney platformer)
Mario Kart
Bomberman
Tetris

Genesis:
Castle of Illusion (any Disney platformer again)
Ristar
TMNT Hyperastone Heist
Ecco

If you have Mame setup Gauntlet is a great game for kids. Just load it up with a shitload of credits and let him go nuts. I got a couple of younger cousins and when they come visit the first thing they wanna play is Gauntlet.

17 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Snes:
Donkey Kong Country
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Aladdin (or any Disney platformer)
Mario Kart
Bomberman
Tetris

Genesis:
Castle of Illusion (any Disney platformer again)
Ristar
TMNT Hyperastone Heist
Ecco

If you have Mame setup Gauntlet is a great game for kids. Just load it up with a shitload of credits and let him go nuts. I got a couple of younger cousins and when they come visit the first thing they wanna play is Gauntlet.

Great recommendations, thanks. I haven't gotten MAME set up yet, but Gauntlet is a great suggestion. Might have to do that.