LaunchBox Community Forums

Size of images folder??

UncleDaddySwiss

I have around 9500 (give or take) games imported so far, and I just checked the size of the images folder and it is around 46GB, yes, Gigabytes, in size. Is this normal?? I have done a lot of importing and deleting of games over the past several weeks, trying to organize and such, but yesterday I did the clear images option in Launchbox, which said that it deleted over 13000 images. So the current size doesnt seem right to me. I do not have any videos at all.

Thanks

Edit: also, another question about this is, do people download media from launchbox games DB AND emumovies? Like front box art from both, etc? 

Edited by UncleDaddySwiss

This is definitely possible. My current image folder is around 14 gigs, and I really don't have that many systems in it at this point. Images can be rather large, and we've chosen to allow very large images on the LaunchBox Games Database, so yes it can take a very large amount of space. There are utilities you can use to compress/reduce the size of the images. There's a recent thread around here that might help, but I don't have the link handy for the moment.

Ok, thanks for the reply, I have actually decided to reinstall Launchbox from scratch. This time in Dropbox, as it was just on a data drive in my gaming PC. I know you have suggested this before, and I'm just getting around to it now. I think what I will try is to do 2 "passes", first with LB games DB, and then fill in the holes with EmuMovies on pass 2, using " Download metadata and images" option. I'm sorry for being so complicated, I just dont have much experience with front ends, this is my first one.

Thanks again.

Just to warn you in advance If you do 2 passes with both DB's you will have a crazy amount of duplicate screenshots. Your image folder will be very large then. Certain images type LB can't differentiate so images like that will get added every time and you could ended 4 of the same image if it is hosted on both sites and you run two passes.

No, if you tell the wizard not to replace any metadata, it will only download new images for empty image categories. In other words, it will only download box art for games that don't have any existing box art. What it *won't* do is download additional screenshots, for example, if screenshots are exist for that game, even if they are new. It will only download images for image types that don't have any existing images for that game.