LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box Slow

master333

Hi

My default use of Launchbox is Launchbox itself but when I try Big Box Mode the whole experience is really laggy and slow.

I have i74790 cpu and 16gb ram and a 980ti gpu. I can run the latest games in 4K but I cannot run Big Box mode!

If I use text list for both platform and games it runs reasonably well.

Anyone have similar issues or hints I could try to make it run smooth?

I am now using themes and tried MaterialBox but even on text list for both settings it still lags. 

I just updated to the beta and tried it out and it is the same.

I have framerate on 60 btw. I decided to turn off all transition effects to none and I noticed an improvement but its not perfect like how you see it so smooth when Jason run his Big Box on the videos!

I am not sure what Image Cache option does - maybe that would help? 

Is there an option to show Last Played or Date Added in Big Box mode for all games or a specific platform? 

Have you tried updating your video cards drivers your machine shouldn't have an issues I have an i5 3330 that runs BigBox butter smooth with a 950. I run BigBox pretty smoothly on a tablet with an Atom with 1GB of RAM actually but only with very limited media resources no videos and only front box art so you really shouldn't have to turn down any of the settings. What OS are you using?

Edited by DOS76

Hi Jason,

Just bought into the forever licence club this morning! Very pleased with Launchbox after 10 months with a 1yr licence. You have the edge with easy to use settings, great design, great forum support and support for every platform not just emulators.

I have done some testing on 6.10b3 and have found the following:

Using Windows 10 64 bit.

In Default theme:

Games list view: Coverflow with details is slow and laggy/jumpy when scrolling through games.

Other views are smooth now.

In Materialbox theme: (I know this might need to be reposted under Materialbox theme thread)

Scrolling through the Platforms in Platform View using recommended text with details view is slow/laggy. It even stops randomly on a platform when you scroll holding down a direction instead of infinite scrolling up or down.

Is there an option to show Last Played or Date Added in Big Box mode for all games or a specific platform? 

Edited by master333

Thanks for the purchases, @master333. Much appreciated. :)

The CoverFlow with details is indeed the most taxing view we have. CoverFlow in general could stand to be a bit more performant. A couple of things you can try:

- Reduce the CoverFlow image quality in the Image options

- Switch to the VLC video playback engine if you're using Windows Media Player

Either of those might really speed it up for you. Last Played and Date Added I believe should show up in the details panes for games if configured to display them in the options.