LaunchBox Community Forums

Philips CD-i

scerfy

I have been trying to get the Philips CD-i working with MAME and have had no luck. I followed this tutorial: http://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/29631-quick-mamemess-philips-cd-i-tutorial-mame-0-172/. I've tried this tutorial as well:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83OEvdRfaI but it's pretty outdated. own four games and used chdman to convert them to CHDs. cdimono1.zip is in my roms directory. When I attempt the command line "mame64 cdimono1 -skip_gameinfo <game>" I am greeted by a solid screen of pure cyan. This also occurs if I just try to run "mame64 cdimono1" which presumably should just boot the CD-i BIOS. This leads me to believe that the rom files aren't necessarily the problem. I don't believe that my BIOS files are an issue either, but I could be wrong about that. Has anyone else gotten Philips CD-i to work? If so, will you please share some instructions here to get it working?

Does your cdimono1.zip file have 2 files inside it ? cd200.rom and cdi220b.rom.

To be honest I have spent very little time on getting the CD-i up and running.  I only tried with one game which was Dragon's Lair and I got it to load to the boot screen and then it told me I need the mpeg encoder card addon for the system which as far as I am aware of Mess does not support. Presumably if I had a game that did not require this addon hardware it should work.

I also used a stand alone version of Mess and not Mame, I have had better luck getting systems up and running through Mess.

Yes I confirmed that my cdimono.zip file has cd200.rom and cdi220b.rom.

I was under the impression, correct me if I'm wrong, that MESS was basically deprecated and has been fully integrated into MAME, and thus if it works in MESS it should work in MAME. If that's wrong, I might try downloading MESS to see if I have better luck with that.

Yes Mess is now fully integrated into Mame and getting things running in Mame should be doable. But there are still separate builds of Mess being kept up with the latest versions and I have just had better luck dealing with the folder structure using Mess.

All I do is dump my bios files in the \Mess\roms\ folder and then add my actual game roms folder path to the mess.ini file and they just work. From what I could tell with Mame there was just a little more fiddling with folder structures. Plus just for my own personal OCD about keeping things neat and tidy I just liked having my Mame and Mess separate.

As far as your issues go one place I would look is at your actual rom files. You said you dumped your own physical disks if I read what you typed correctly. I would try and download a disk image dump from somewhere and try that. Unfortunately I gave up on Dragon's Lair, just no interest in the CD-i personally.