LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch N64 - Gauntlet Legends trouble?

ckp

Using RA with mupen64plus_libretro core. Gauntlet Legends seem to have random screen flashing going on. Any idea how to resolve that? Other N64 games I tried (not many) seem ok so far.

The window size is funky to instead of full screen.

Thanks.

Edited by ckp

Do yourself a favour and don't use the Retroarch Mupen core. Use either the stand alone Mupen64 or Project64 instead. Better yet, install both PJ64 and Mupen64 and use the right one for each game.

Nintendo64 emulation as a whole is touch and go at best, different games will work better depending on the emulator being used.

N64 emulation needs a lot of work before it is what I personally would call "good". Some people may try and argue it but the simple fact of the matter is that is a hack job at best and  you just have to accept that some games are going to play great and others are going to be crap. Maybe Cen64 will mature quickly and be more accurate and less of a hack job.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't get Gauntlet to work with any N64 emulator, I think I just went with the Dreamcast version.  There is a few games that right now aren't really playable with any current N64 emulator, the Indiana Jones game is another one off the top of my head and I don't think Rogue Squadron really works well in any of them either.  I have high hopes for the Vulkan N64 emulator in Retroarch (called Parallel(?) or something like that) but it is still in the early stages and has a way to go yet. Other than that N64 emulation isn't very strong at all right now,

Rogue Squadron and Indiana Jones actually play pretty good using the GLupeN64 Retroarch core, set RSP Mode to LLE in the core options. The opening intros are a little off but the gameplay itself is very good with some minor issues here and there.

Gauntlet Legends will load using stand alone Mupen64 will load and you can get through the initial parts of the game but as soon as you enter a world it crashes out. The Dreamcast version plays fine using Demul though and I have not tried the Playstation version out yet but I will have to try it out using the Vulkan PSX core @ 8x resolution and a shader to see how it looks.

• 1 year later...