LaunchBox Community Forums

Multiplataform Games And Emulation Dolphin Vs Pcsx2

StuDentBR

So i am organizing my colletion of games that i own (physical copy) on an external hard drive with launchbox, besides the exclusives titles i have some games both on ps2 and gamecube, so my doubt is should i just stick with the GC versions since they are smaller and runs better on on Dolphin than they do on PCSX2 ? What you guys think ?

Ps. I do own both physical versions of games i've mentioned above.

generally do that, as Dolphin provides a much better experience in general than PCSX2, however there are a few games that were given inferior ports from the PS2 to GCN. If you're unsure,  you can usually track down reviews of the games (that era's reviews are mostly still available online), they'll usually mention any differences between ports.

Plus you have to factor in that the reason GC games were smaller is because of the 1.4 GB limitation of the mini-discs that Nintendo insisted on. As a result, you'll sometimes get cut content, or degraded FMV quality. In addition, the GC controller has several fewer buttons than the PS2, so control can sometimes be an issue.

What I'm saying is, do your research, because your mileage may vary.

Well i understand what you are saying, i've tried to play medal of honor frontline on Pcsx2 and it just did not run well at speed and even some effects were missing, and with Dolphin it runs just fine, it is very weird how an emulator that runs games from a console that is less powerful: PS2(PCSX2) can run games slower and less accurate than another emulator games of more powerful machines: GameCube and Wii (Dolphin).

Yes There games that have their diferences like resident evil 4...

The PS2 was technically less powerful, but so is the Saturn and look at how bad that emultion is. It isn't always about how powerful the console originally was (though that is the case early on in a consoles emulation tale, just look at PS3 emulation, a major hurdle right now is PC Power), but the PS2 chose some odd hardware that is a bit more difficult than the GameCube. The GameCube, Wii and Wii U all share the same PowerPC Architecture, in fact, the Wii is essentially two GameCube's taped together. I find that PCSX2 runs well though, just as well as Dolphin in some cases, so you could also experiment with some settings changes if you really prefer the PS2 port, but otherwise, I don't see why you should care if you use the GameCube version. If you prefer to play which ever version for what ever reason, then go with that.