LaunchBox Community Forums

Trouble with Capcom Playsystem emulators w/ Launchbox

Echorion

The playsystem emulators work fine and boot up roms fine on their own, but when added to launchbox it just boots the emulator. Is there any way to get it to boot the games directly like most other emulators you add through launchbox? Thank you.

(I searched the forum first and saw some suggest command lines, none worked)

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

Yeah that is how I was doing it. I got most emulators working no problem it's only a select few that don't load the actual rom.

2 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

I'd recommend making the switch to either Mame or the Final Burn Alpha core in Retroarch, the stand alone Final Burn Alpha also works very well. Both are much better and always being updated.

I could never figure out retroarch the first time I tried to use it, much less through launchbox. I got mame working once but I could never really get it all sorted. I will give them a try though, maybe I can figure them out this time. 

15 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Personally I use Mame over Retroarchs FBA core but neither is a better or worse option that the other outside of shaders being better for vertical oriented games in Mame.

The problem I have Is I don't understand the versions and updating process or such really. Anytime I try and get a mame rom to run I have all kinds of errors.

Is there a voiced or detailed guide somewhere on mame? Most guides I try and find are silent and hard to follow, or for like mobile devices and not the same, etc.

Edited by Echorion

2 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

It's easier but it is a substantial download getting a full Mame romset. The problem with trying to go with individual games is you run into missing parent or bios roms.

Yeah that is what I realized last time I tried, but I couldn't find the right mame/rom set with the right versions. Apparently they all have to be updated or something, and that is where I get mixed up.

Well I will give it a shot then.

You do not need to have an exact romset matching a version of Mame, you do have some leeway but I would suggest starting with Mame 177 as the latest Mame to start with. Though if you get a 178 romset then Mame 178 is fine to use. The 177 rom sets Capcom CPS games won't work in 178 though because of a .key file that is now included with the 178 Capcom roms.

Try searching the same version of MAME you have. So the latest is .179, so search for a MAME .179 Rom set. You can even stick to that rom set for a while if you'd like as well. I had a .175 rom set all the way through MAME .178b because I didn't want to download it again. You can download update packs, and I just put the updated files in to the mame set and over write them. However, @CriticalCid wrote a good tutorial for CLRMAMEPro, and he would highly advise against just dropping the updated roms in to the old set, but I honestly haven't come across any issues yet.

If you need more Arcade help, we have 4 Arcade tutorials up as well, the first one has to do with MAME. The only thing outdated about it is some of the info about the user created tool Lightspeed (at least I still believe this to be the case), but otherwise plug in the updated version numbers and it's pretty much the same thing.

I ended up just sticking with what I have and using it outside of launchbox. Mame was confusing for me mostly because of the updates and versions, and if you suggest just downloading all of them the full romset is like 50 GB and CHDs are like 300GB+ or you have to try and find all the individual bios and everything for each game. The best I could find was the 0.161 on emuparadise anyways.

I only want these few games I used to play a lot, and these seem to do an alright job as is.

Thank you all for the help though, I appreciate you taking the time.

Edited by Echorion

The 0.161 is fine to get for your purposes so if you do decide to go that way in the future don't worry about it and the CHDs are not at all necessary, I don't ever bother with them myself.

Another thing you could do if you wanted to put in a little bit of work is get a version of MameUI which is a tiny bit older now and no longer being developed. Download individual game roms and use the audit function for each game, it will tell you what is missing and what file it is looking for it in so you can target that download.

If you wanted a newer build of Mame you could get a separate front end program called Arcade which just adds back in the UI component of MameUI.

If all you care about is the Capcom stuff that really shouldn't be too difficult to get.