LaunchBox Community Forums

Incorrect data type

chyatt6385

I've run across a couple of entries while moderating the DB that have "Multiplayer" entered in the "MaxPlayers" field. I rejected the first one because of multiple issues and not just this; I'm not sure if I should reject this one or not, because it's the only issue with this entry. I want to reject it, because I think "MaxPlayers" should expect a numeric value and not a string.

Any guidance?

19 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Are they newer games that have Online Multiplayer? I don't expect those to really have a number attached to them.

I'd think that you could make the Maximum Players be the largest amount of players an online match would support, in that case. MMOs, on the other hand, don't make sense to list a number for.

For entries I've made, if it has an MMO component, I've just left the field blank simply because I don't know how many maxplayers their servers will handle.

Maybe make an "MMO" field with yes/no input, like the co-op field? MMOs seem to be really popular now.

Edited by chyatt6385

So, I've just run into a string of Atari ST games that someone entered with "1,2 (sim)." or "1, 1 vs 1" as a data string for MaxPlayers. As far as I can tell, all other components of each entry is correct. I've rejected a couple or three of them so far, but it looks like someone went to a lot of effort of putting them in, and I'd hate to completely waste their time.

What does everyone think about just accepting them all (assuming everything else is correct) and just fixing the one thing wrong with them later?

This could be one of those cases that supports the argument for being able to skip over entries and pass/fail them later.

I'd say as long as @Vlansix or @Jason Carr aren't worried about non numerical values in that field doing anything funky to the database, accept the entries for now. It's why the one of the rejection buttons is for "too much" bad data; it's a shame to lose a good entry because of a technicality. Maybe make a note of which entries have this issue, and fix them later? 

6 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

If it's 1 v 1, then it's cooperative with a max players of 2, so really I don't think they should be approved. @Vlansix might be changing these fields to also only accept numbers as well.

I wonder, then, if the field is restricted to numeric, if it will toss out the entire entry anyway or just the incorrect data type. I suppose it all depends on the code structure for each entry; either way, it's not an unrecoverable loss.

6 hours ago, FistyDollars said:

I'd say as long as @Vlansix or @Jason Carr aren't worried about non numerical values in that field doing anything funky to the database, accept the entries for now. It's why the one of the rejection buttons is for "too much" bad data; it's a shame to lose a good entry because of a technicality. Maybe make a note of which entries have this issue, and fix them later? 

I was thinking about the "too much" bad data as well. As for making a note, they're all AtariST entries so far, and it may be the same person doing it. I've encountered this before with some other non-Windows platform entries though.

And I'm ok with rejecting them all for the learning experience of the person who is inputting these; the data isn't really lost, because I found a couple of sites out there with AtariST game info while I was verifying them, so we're not losing a national treasure. I just wish the first pass through isn't simply a pass/fail, and that we could alter the data when it first comes to us for moderation.

3 minutes ago, chyatt6385 said:

I just wish the first pass through isn't simply a pass/fail, and that we could alter the data when it first comes to us for moderation.

Something like this is being looked at. @Vlansix is an extremely capable and badass person who is working on the Database and is doing an amazing job. He has tons of plans for stuff like this.

Hi guys,

Real quick,

1 - Max players will be locked to a numerical value, with a checkbox for games where you can't really determine the max number of players (see MMOs, etc)

2 - I'm working on adding editing capability while moderating and notes being passed to/from mods and content submitters. No worries :).

• Like 1