LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame not working

daimen

Outside of LaunchBox Mame works fine. I even have it set up to where it will get games from the folder inside the Launchbox games folder. I'm testing out 10 yard fight. And it works if I launch it outside of LB. But if I hit play it will start up and then crash. What am I doing wrong?

I'm having exactly the same problem with every new game I import since my initial collection importing. When I originally imported my ROM folder, everything ran sweet both in Launchbox, and Big Box. However, when I import anything new, it imports fine, loads all the artwork etc, but won't start the game, it just crashes. The only way I can make new games work, is to delete and re-import the entire collection, then it sees the new games.

Running version 6.12 on Windows 10.

1 minute ago, lordmonkus said:

Are the new games you are importing in the same rom folder or a different one ?

I'm importing my new files from the same folder that successfully loaded all other games. (The ROMS folder in my MAME directory) I'm also copying the file into Launchbox as well as leaving the original in the MAME folder.

Do not let LB move MAME files. In most cases letting LB move files is bad (unless they're single files), but if there is a complicated file structure or multiple files required, never do it.

Have either of you watch the MAME Tutorial on our YT channel? Try that and see if you're missing a step. Ignore that It's a bit older, just plug in to new .180 MAME Rom set, MAME .180, ignore the Lighgtspeed stuff as well as it's very much outdated (I don't know what's going on there), but then otherwise it's the same tutorial.

• 10 months later...

Ok, so it's just not working through Launchbox. Give this a try "this problem can be solved by copy and paste the .ini folder content in the main folder".

Another user recently had this same problem and this was what he found to work for him. I don't use the UI version of Mame, I only use the command line version, I find it less hassle but that's just me.

Go into your \mame\ini folder, select all and copy then back out to your \mame folder where your mame executable is and paste the copied content to the main folder. What I have gathered from what was said in the thread I linked this seems to be some weird issue since MameUI 186. If there is a mame.ini file in the \ini folder you could probably simply just copy that file out to the main Mame folder.

2 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Glad it worked but thank @LuismaSP89 because he figured it out.

I never run into this issue with the command line version because my first step after installing a new Mame is to generate a mame.ini in the Mame folder itself using the command line.

Indeed. I still want to thank you for taking some of your time to help me out. Thank you.:)