LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox can now play nicely with SSF

jadekitten

There is a need for certain people to use SSF, it runs better on slower hardware. Mednafen and the Retroarch core have higher CPU requirements to run than SSF but you gain better accuracy.

Options are always a good thing because you never know when someone is going to have a special case where the general rule of thumb does not apply.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone bothered to try this new method, and if they did, could they by any chance up the patched SSF executable somewhere please?

SSF is definitely outdated at this point, and Mednofen core runs circles around it in compatibility as far as I can tell. However, it's still nice to have an alternative, especially since SSF ran full speed on my 2006 netbook.

Oh, and I can finally play Deep Fear without those annoying SSF sound glitches!

• 5 months later...
On 1/12/2017 at 1:10 AM, lordmonkus said:

There is a need for certain people to use SSF, it runs better on slower hardware. Mednafen and the Retroarch core have higher CPU requirements to run than SSF but you gain better accuracy.

Options are always a good thing because you never know when someone is going to have a special case where the general rule of thumb does not apply.

I'll second this. I use SSF with that Batch file you posted, totally because I'm still on 32 Bit Windows 7 and Mednafen / RetroArch Saturn only works on 64 Bit OS's. I'm rebuilding my PC soon and I soooo can't wait to get onto RetroArch Saturn.

Edited by JamesBond@ge

11 minutes ago, JamesBond@ge said:

I'll second this. I use SSF with that Batch file you posted, totally because I'm still on 32 Bit Windows 7 and Mednafen / RetroArch Saturn only works on 64 Bit OS's. I'm rebuilding my PC soon and I soooo can't wait to get onto RetroArch Saturn.

Mednafen Saturn is worth building a 64 bit OS. It's progressing very nicely and its nice to have an active community around it since SSF is just one guy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keltoigael said:

Mednafen Saturn is worth building a 64 bit OS. It's progressing very nicely and its nice to have an active community around it since SSF is just one guy.

I can't wait! I'm missing out on so many things due to being stuck on 32 Bit. I've actually written a list of these things lol. An up to date version of Dolphin is another one of them. v5.0 is 64 bit only. I can use v4.02 but that is almost 4 years old heh. Mednafen Saturn and Dolphin 5.0 are the main motivations behind my new build!

Edit: Vice64 / RetroArch core is another. That is the only way to play C64 with RetroArch as far as I know. I could go on........lol

Edited by JamesBond@ge
  • Like 1