LaunchBox Community Forums

W2K12 Server = RetroArch Crashes

ericdthomps

Hello everyone.

I'm new to Launchbox and just trying to get things setup.

I watch the tutorials... I have a Windows 2012 Server running Plex and other programs.  Would like to setup Launchbox (successfully installed) and RetroArch (crashes) on it also.

When I go to launch retroarch I get a generic message =

retroarch.exe has stopped working (with an option to close the program)

Is anyone else running on W2K12 server?

The error message is generic so I don't know what to try next.

Thanks for the help.

Windows 2012 R2 is the same as Windows 8.1 in terms of underlying OS. Video drivers for Win 8.1 "should" also work on 2012r2, unless the installer is specifically allowing only certain Windows versions.

If the driver update doesn't work, you can try the things below, but should probably do these things anyway...

You might try enabling Windows Desktop Experience as you should do this if you want to use your server like a desktop:

https://pubs.vmware.com/horizon-7-view/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.horizon-view.desktops.doc%2FGUID-13F25FDB-654C-467F-9BC9-F2F9C4E4EAD7.html

You might also try setting RA to run in compatibility mode, like for Win 7 or Win 8/8.1 to see if that helps.

In general I would advise against using any Windows Server OS as a desktop PC, like for running games and other desktop applications. Why? Because a LOT of application installers are written to block installation on a "server" OS. And in order to get some applications you may want, like OS imaging software, you are going to have to pay for "server" versions which are VERY expensive compared to regular desktop versions.

39 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

After testing from RDP it launches RA for a split second then it closes with no error message.

A lot of applications can't run in a RDP session as opposed to a local console session. And some run, but don't work properly because they don't support a concurrent multi-user environment, like you may not see a sys tray icon when expected, for example.