LaunchBox Community Forums

Moving the whole setup to a different PC and using a RetroFE full media setup...

shaolin95

Hello guys!
So I have two main questions.
First I am slowing downloading all the setups using my emumovies account but its taking a LONG time. I have everything installed on Drive E:/ so I am thinking that if I rename the drive letter of my USB 128GB flash drive to Drive E:/ then I should be able to run everything the way it is already configured on my PC for the most part by moving the folders to that flash drive, right?

I am planning to buy the license as well btw.

Second, I made the BIG mistake of signing up to EMUMOVIES just to get the RETROFE full media setup offered there. Well, I had no idea that RetroFE doesn't even have a decent way of configuring controls. Waste of time waiting for that to slowly download from emumovies. 
I was wondering, if by any chance, I can use what downloaded from emumovies in Launchbox to avoid having to download all that art again. I am guessing the programs have different configurations and it would be a pain but just in case, it does not hurt to ask.
Anyways, I cannot wait to get this running on my main pc and on my mini pc Z83ii. 
Looks liked Launchbox is the program I wanted from the beginning and I jumped too fast into getting RetroFE. :/

Thanks guys!

You can move everything to another drive fairly easily but the difficulty will depend on the previous setup. If you have everything self contained in a single folder including emulators and roms it will be really easy.

As far as your RetroFE media is concerned you should just be able to drop the media such as screenshots, videos and boxarts and anything else in the appropriate folders within Launchbox and have them work. I have done this with several things in the past such as game videos and mame wheel art and screen shots. I had that from previously wasting my time with HyperSpin.

• Like 1

Awesome, I am going to try that then with the media I have as soon as the current NES media download ends in Launchbox. :)

Unless there is a way to pause the current downloads and resume IF i cannot get it working after transferring the media from RetroFE

Edited by shaolin95

Yeah just import your libraries and uncheck all the boxes for the media files you have and then just drop the media you have into their appropriate locations. As long as the media file names are close to the games file name or even close to the game name itself it should work just fine, the file names don't necessarily need to be 100% accurate but it does need to be somewhat close.

• Like 1

The files need to match the rom file name or the name of the game inside of LaunchBox, so after you import, run the image clean up process. It may take a while, but it will remove any stragglers, then you can select a platform on the left (or all), then Ctrl + A to highlight every game. From there, go to Tools -> Download Metadata and Media, and select the second option. This will go through and fill in any gaps from the LaunchBox Games Database and Emu Movies. So a benefit from having EM, is that downloading from their servers is completely wrapped up in LB. EM Premium (and LB Premium for it to fully show up) will nab you game video.