LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox running with Windows 90 degree rotation

stevep

Will  Launchbox run if Windows is rotated 90 degrees? The reason I'm asking is I'm curious how Launchbox would treat vertical games. Would it portray the game in full screen? I'm currently using ArcadeOS with win98 in an old DK cabinet. Windows is rotated 90 degrees and ArcadeOS displays the vertical games in their original format. If not ...does anyone know if Win7 supports ArcadeOS.

LB will run on a portrait monitor. How the game looks once you launch it will be determined by your emulator say you launch a landscape game on the monitor if it has enforce aspect on it will place it in a small box if you have that off it will scrunch it all up and try to fit it onscreen but that is all emulator specific.

After doing a little research it seems that you can configure MAME to rotate the vertical games in their proper format using command lines. There is however another version of MAME specifically designed for Windows....MAMEUI. This operates like your typical Windows program. It also acts like a front end. This probably wouldn't be practical when using Launchbox. Since Launchbox can work on a portrait oriented monitor,I'm going try and configure MAME using command lines. This should enable me to play games like Donkey Kong,Pacman,Centipede ,etc in their original format. I guess I'm a purist when it comes to playing my favorite arcade classics.

With a game loaded press the Tab key on your keyboard, then go down to Video Options. Then in there you should see an option for Rotate. I am fairly certain this feature is there for version 0.164 but it could be possible that it was not implemented back then. I am currently running 182 but I do know for certain that it has been in since 168. I no longer have any versions older than 178 to test with to be absolute certain though.

Version 0.164 doesn't have this option. Updating to the newer version will reek havoc on my rom collection. As you know MAME is really finicky regarding the rom sets that you're using.....unless you have a solution around that I probably will stick with my current version.