LaunchBox Community Forums

Cleaning up image filenames

Ted777

Hi, when I imported all my roms, there were duplicates of games from different regions and revisions.  After cleaning up the duplicates, there are a bunch of images (boxart, screenshots, etc) that still exist and show up.

Some questions:

1.How do I remove all the duplicates, is there something built in, or do I need to find a windows tool to clean these duplicates.

2.How do I have it automatically change the file name back to the game title.  (LaunchBox adds this hash of a bunch of random characters to distinguish duplicate images).  I'd love to have the game titles without the random characters update, without having to manually change them all.

3.I've hid the duplicates, will there be a performance hit, is it best that I delete the duplicates from LaunchBox?  (Lots of duplicates per game because of regions, revisions, etc)

If you're not going to play the games, the best idea is to completely remove them, or consolidate them with the rom merging tool currently in Beta (soon to be RC). Past that, you can use the Tools -> Clean Up Images option, but this will only remove images for games that no longer exist. If the game still exists, but you've hidden it, it wont remove the images. If you have a lot, my suggestion is to delete the games from the platform, use the windows search function to find keywords and remove games you don't want, then re-import and don't download any media. Once it's re-imported, all the available media should re-attach, then you can use the clean up images option. I don't think it will automatically attach all of the available artwork to a single game, but, I'm not sure.