LaunchBox Community Forums

Keeping roms zipped

CALLSTANLEY247

Hi everyone got a question  

im trying to sort out my games within my PlayStation 2 system I need to unzip them and if I do I don't have enough space on drive.im sure I read somewere that I could leave them zipped up if I also installed rocket-launcher.though can't find any info .so thinking I'm wrong .could someone let me know if I can leave them zipped 

Wait no. Rocketlauncher won't let you leave them zipped. It will just unzip them for you, but launchbox has that functionality now too, I think. The only way you can leave them zipped is if the emulator supports it. There are a few compression methods that work for ps1 gamecube etc, but I'm not sure about ps2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fromlostdays said:

Wait no. Rocketlauncher won't let you leave them zipped. It will just unzip them for you, but launchbox has that functionality now too, I think. The only way you can leave them zipped is if the emulator supports it. There are a few compression methods that work for ps1 gamecube etc, but I'm not sure about ps2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

CSO's for PS2 work great. I showed it off in the video.

• Like 1

Thanks brad I'll check out the video.last night I moved all the ps2 zips to my nas .though when I goto tools ,import roms .it can see all the game though when I say import to Launchbox game folder .nothing shows up.so just copying and pasted them directly into Launchbox folder .need to take wife out for meal so once I'm free I'll check the video.fancy sending me a link if you have it to hand 

thanks again

Edited by CALLSTANLEY247

You don't need to copy the games to the LB directory if you don't want to, they'll load from anywhere. If everything (LaunchBox, emulators, games) are all on the same drive, then it's easier if you need to move things to a new drive (it would need to be all of it), but otherwise you can import your games from anywhere.

Thanks brad I have an external drive within there it was Launchbox,hyper spin that I couldn't get running .a folder with systems roms .so moved the roms to Launchbox game folders and placed the folder with all system games onto my nas.the ps2 video was great .brad can I ask .when I unzip a game and within the game folder I always have the zipped file that all the folder came from .do I leave this there or should I move it out.also noticed that in my ps2 platform on Launchbox shows a .bin file and a bios file in the gallery .do I place these some were else.

You shouldn't have BIOS files imported, but bin files should be fine if they're the game. It sounds like you're importing the folder and not selecting the files you need. Personally, I never keep ANYTHING like roms inside of Archives, especially larger discs. I personally CSO'd all my PS2 games to save space, but not use an archive. If you have the space, I would try to re-order your library and just import the files you need. Using "Add Files" and the Windows Search function (regardless of if you want to stay with archives), should sort out your extra files problem. If you're using LB to unzip your files, then it creates a cache that should be removed each time you close it back down, and it keeps the archive so that you still have your game. Again, I would skip the archive all together if you can spare the space, and if you can't looking in to CSO's might be a way better compromise. Save some space, don't have to deal with the archives.

If you are curious:

If you import multi-disc games, as long as the verbiage is right LB automatically combines them, then you just do a save state and save load trick to load the next disc. There are tons of files related to emulation (depending on the emulator), that can be crucial, but that doesn't mean it all needs to be imported. BIOS for example don't need to be imported, the Emulator just needs to know where they are. I am doing a tutorial this week about the new combining features though, if you want more of an explanation.

• Like 1