LaunchBox Community Forums

X Arcade controller not working with Big Box

oxJRxo

I'm trying to set up my X Arcade controller with Launch/Big Box but it doesn't seem to recognize any inputs "cant configure controls" is there a way to get the Launch Box or Big Boxes UI to recognize my X Arcade controller inputs?

I want to use Big Box with my mini arcade.

Thanks for any help.

2017-02-16 20.26.21.jpg

Edited by oxJRxo
trying to make my problem clearer.

I have the tankstick from x-arcade so I am thinking they are using the same controller board. It is essentially a keyboard encoder. So the first step would be to open up notepad and see if all the functions are working. You should see input in notepad just as if you are typing. If you don't see it here you will not see it anywhere. You can refer to this article on how to trouble shoot the system - X-arcade trouble shooting

Also keep in mind that big box makes use of the enter and esc keys to navigate, and the x-arcade controller by default does not. You can either change big box keybinds or setup a different set of keybinds on the controller - as referenced here  X-arcade programming guide

Some simple things to check:

1: Does the little red light turn on - if not then the unit is either not plugged in, not plugged in a working port (use an old keyboard, mouse, joypad to test if port works) or the unit is deffective.

2: Do the note pad test to see if it is working correctly

3: Make sure you are not in programming mode on the controller

4: Try the different modes on the controller if it has them.

Let me know if this doesn't work and I will see if I can trouble shoot further with you:)

• Like 1

Mega thanks Maozem

Looks like you've given me all the information I need to get this figured out.

The light on the x arcade is on and it works with all my emulated games just not letting me input anything in the Launch/Big Boxes button configuration, like the UI doesn't see the x arcade at all.

I've have the same problem with Mame's UI...?

I'm at work now and will try some things you suggested when I get home and will report back.

Thank you Maozem.

Edited by oxJRxo
trying to make my problem clearer.

Just a update,

I'm thinking my problem is the key mapping thanks Maozem for the x arcade button configuration video link and Napalm2016 for comfurming what I think is a dead on suggestion from Maozem.

Unfortunately,,... I need to get a 'USB to PS2 Keyboard adapter' to see if the x arcade controller mapping will work.

!!Only way to program a x arcade controllers keys is threw the PS2 port!!???

Anyways I will post back ASAP to let you both know if this is the issue.

Thanks again.2017-02-17_17_47_56.thumb.jpg.f445a7f271cfc4300576f765065789fe.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2017 at 9:04 PM, oxJRxo said:

!!!Problem solved!!!

THANKS to Maozem and Napalm2016.

I used this link https://support.xgaming.com/support/solutions/articles/12000003090-x-arcade-programming-guide

From Maozem, "thank you"

To change my X Arcade button mapping so Big Box will see it as a keyboard.

Any chance you could post what keyboard commands you set the buttons and sticks to for optimum use?

HI timekills,

I personally just use the default keyboard assignments at the moment and keep an extra keyboard handy for any additional things that I need. I may consider using a g13 that I have or getting a second button and controller set,(something cheap), to setup special commands. You will have to forgive me for lack of detailed information as I am still working things out myself. I have suggested to X-arcade that they make some software like the logitech keyboard software that is application aware and can be programmed on an application-by-application basis to make things easier for using the wide variety of emulators that we use. Who knows maybe someday :)

I will say that I try to keep in mind that keys like esc, tab, and the f-keys can sometimes have special functions in applications so I stay away from assigning them to my controller unless I am absolutely sure that they will not interfere with the applications. Also don't forget the shift+, special character, and punctuation keys when you need something a little different.

Hope this points you in the right direction. Happy gaming.

Maozem

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Choo Choo Maan said:

what is the correct button layout when programming xarcade for bigbox?

For what specifically? For using the BigBox UI and moving around in BigBox directly there really is no correct button layout for BigBox. What ever keys your buttons are mapped to when you use BigBox just go into the keyboard mapping setup and map your buttons to the BigBox functions. 

Keep in mind this is only for moving in BigBox. The emulators you have to set-up directly in them.  

I have been using the Xarcade default map.