LaunchBox Community Forums

How to Play Atari 5200 Games on Your Computer (Kat5200)

ResidentEvul13

• 8 months later...

I'm trying to get the Atari 5200 to work with Kat5200 and have followed the You Tube videos and been looking at a lot of posts.

Games are setup in Launchbox/Games/Atari 5200 with Kat 5200 in the Emulators folder and the Bios is also in the Kat 5200 folder and Kat 5200 bios is set to it.

When I try launching  a gamefrom LaunchBox/BigBox I get User Message - Error Loading Rom Image.  I have confirmed that the Kat5200 is pointing to the correct ROM folder and they work directly in the Kat5200 Launcher.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Thanks Lordmonkus for the fast reply but it has the same issue.

I tried -machine_type 5200 and -machine_type Atari 5200

Also tried restarting Launchbox after the change but no luck

I noticed that in the launcher it is using a config in the C:\Users...which is not where the .db3 is but is actually in C:\LaunchBox\Emulators. Does this need to be changed? If so I can't seem to find out how.

FYI - The reason I am using the 7.1 version is I had originally tried the 8.1 version but when I had the issue I went for the version in the youtube tutorial.

Atari 5200.jpg

I removed it all with the same issue with the latest release.

I'm not sure if this is just coincidence but in the end I completed the extraction of the zip folder in the launchbox emulator folder (previously I did it on my desktop and dragged it in) and then extracted the 5200.rom in kat5200 folder and completed the steps as before and it is all working now.

I didn't need the  command line parameter.

Not sure if I should open another post but is there a way to make it that when I press the exit button in Launchbox or BigBox that it comes up with a window asking if I want to exit, cancel or add to favourites?  (want this for the Atari 5200 platform and all of them if possible)

Thanks

4 minutes ago, UnReAl-GrUnT said:

I didn't need the  command line parameter.

Yeah the command line isn't necessary if the config is set to use 5200. If you wanna setup 5200, 800 and XE though you will need the command line parameters in LB.

15 minutes ago, UnReAl-GrUnT said:

is there a way to make it that when I press the exit button in Launchbox or BigBox that it comes up with a window asking if I want to exit, cancel or add to favourites?

You can mark a game as a favourite in BB itself.

Thanks for both points.

I know you can do it in BB itself but was wondering if you could so it before exiting the game.

I have an arcade legends 3 and when I hit the exit button it gives me the option to resume game, exit or add/remove from favourites.

when I hit the exit/esc when using Bigbox it takes me right out to the platform (so if someone hits it mid game your game is toast)

Thanks again for the quick and helpful replies.

• 1 year later...

Im Trying to get the Pause screen "Exit game" to work. I followed the YouTube tutorial and it has told me to put this script in the AHK

$Esc::
{
    Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}
} 

I have done that but it still wont shut down the game.

using kat5200

Any Ideas?

Edited by F. Krueger